Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

What would a couple pieces of silver that have Barbour

Customer Question

What would a couple pieces of silver that have Barbour Silver co with a marking of 1000 and quadruple on it
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the antiques appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: That's all I know I just bought them today I have 3 pieces and there is a monogrammed d old English style on the front of each piece
JA: Is there anything else the antiques appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: There looks to be a repair on the tea pot or coffee pot which ever it is On the bottom
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 19 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as a dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-ups.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment.

How tall are the pieces?

Please send a photo of your pieces.

Can you send me a photo of the marks on the bottom?

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I'm trying to send pictures

I only see photos of a teapot at this end as well as a rather blurred mark.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Here's a couple pictures
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Here's more
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 17 days ago.

First you mentioned you had two pieces. Then you mention three.

All I see in your pictures is a teapot and a sugar or waste bowl. Does the third piece match (as a creamer) these two pieces but does not have the Barbour mark?

I would like to value as a set if the third piece matches?

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
the third piece matches exactly
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 16 days ago.

Thank you for the information and photos. They really help.

Samuel L Barbour founded the firm - Barbour Silver Co. - in 1893 in Hartford CT. This firm was one of the original silver firms to form the International Silver Co in 1898.

The Barbour Silver Co used your mark 1893- early 20thC.

The "Quadruple" you see in the mark is mostly a marketing tool to imply a good quality plated silver.

First let me say that I always dislike telling my clients the value of their plated silver. In the last twenty years, plated silver has dropped significantly in value. Sterling silver, for the most part, has retained its value as people look at it as an investment. The silver in plated silver is too difficult to extract to be of value as an investment. Plus with the increase in two worker households, there is not time to polish.

Keeping this in mind, I need to tell you the estimated retail value of your set would be only be $90-110 assuming good condition and depending on sale geographic location.

I truly wish the value were higher.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com
Bonanza.com
Amazon Marketplace: http://services.amazon.com/content/sell-on-amazon.htm/ref=footer_soa?ld=AZFSSOA

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free.

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 15 days ago.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris