AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.
30223878

I need to get info on a sword also I can have it insured.

Customer Question

I need to get info on a sword also I can have it insured. What it is worth. It is Shamir Tulwur 36" curved from I think the early Ottaman period. It was used by Calvary type people for fighting. It has a "made in India" on the blade. What makes it unusual is on the hilt there is an emblem in the shape of a mustache telling the tribe who used the sword in battle.It has a scabbard with it. All this Is in very good condition. I seen one like it on EBay a few years ago for 7000.00 but wasn't in as good of condition and lacked the Moustache. Darrell Frazier
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 6 months ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

I'm sorry to say that the engraving "made in India" designates this as a late 20th century reproduction. No authentic swords would be marked in this way.

The metal and the leather of the grip also show me that this is quite a modern sword. It may even be 21st century--I doubt it's more than 10 or 20 years old. It was likely used in re-enactments or stagecraft.

The resale value would be perhaps $25-$50.

I'm sorry for any disappointment.

Sincerely,

Jennifer