Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

How can I date an antique Luckenbooth brooch I purchased in

Customer Question

how can I date an antique Luckenbooth brooch I purchased in Glasgow?
JA: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the antiques appraiser, though. Tell us what else you do know and the antiques appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: it appears very old and has a primitive clasp. It has a very simple gothic looking design.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the antiques appraiser should know?
Customer: It has two or three hallmarks stamped on the back that I can not read.
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 24 days ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your Luckenbooth brooch.

Could you very kindly attach a photo of it and one of the marks and I'll date it for you and give you a value.

Many thanks,
Robert.

PS. Once you have the photos in your computer (if you are using a smart phone camera, just email them to yourself) it's then a simple matter to attach them. Just click on the paperclip icon, located above the text box where you are typing to me. If there's no paperclip, click on the "Add files" tab.

You need to be logged in to the JustAnswer site to do this. You can’t do it from email.

If you get stuck go here for help.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Alternatively, if you can collar a passing teenager with an iPhone they would have photos posted here in about two minutes.

Thanks R.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Here are some pictures. I see a W.S. and the word Scotland. The others look like animals.
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
It could be an M.S. or S.W.
Expert:  Robert S. replied 24 days ago.

Thanks so much for the photos.

Leave this with me and I'll have an answer for you as soon as I can. No need to wait by the computer, you'll get an email with my response.

Many thanks,
Robert.

PS If you can get me a sharper photo of the marks that would be great, too, though I can work with what you sent. R

Expert:  Robert S. replied 24 days ago.

Any chance of a clearer photo of the back of the brooch? I can make out most of the marks, but want to be sure of the rest.

I know how hard it is take good close-up pictures of marks, so I sympathize, however here are some tips I use to make it easier.

• Use the strongest possible angled light you can find (not flash).
  • Select the macro function (that's the little flower icon) on your camera.
  • Rest the camera and the item on the table (on a cloth, say) so everything is stock steady as you take the photo
  • Slowly slide the item towards the lens until it's in focus, keeping both the camera and the item on the table as you click.
  • Take 100s and delete them as you go until you get a good one.
  • If you are using an iPhone, touch the screen where you want the image to be sharpest and it will automatically correct the focus and the lighting.

Hope this is helpful!

Many thanks,
Robert.