Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

I’m writing to find out about refurbishing a Herkert &

Customer Question

I’m writing to find out about refurbishing a Herkert & Meisel Trunk. I saw one on a website that is nearly identical to ours. The only difference is the drawers are on the opposite side than is ours – perhaps that might just be from camera reversal. We are curious to learn what value the trunk may have as we consider refurbishing ours. We have spent many hours researching in an effort to find one similar to ours. The picture on the website listed as sold, is the only one we have ever located. Is the Herkert & Meisel Trunk rare? We would like to explore the possibilities of restoration. Please might you share with us, what you think the price for which the trunk sold?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable.
Customer: ITEM NO.: SS95 CIRCA: 1910 STYLE:The Herkert & Meisel Trunk
JA: Is there anything else the antiques appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: not that I can think of
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is***** you for coming to Just Answer.
.
I will be glad to help you today.
.
This is your answer, please rate this after reading it. This is important to me getting credit for my work.
.
I have been in the antique business for over 45 years, Appraising, Antique shop owner, also buying and selling on today's current market. it is my pleasure to put my experience to work for you.
.
The Herkert & Meisel Trunk like you have are not rare, most people just do not sell the ones they have. They come up for sale from time to time. If restored your trunk will have an estimated value on the current market for an average of $700.00-850.00 depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally.
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great!
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.
.

Glenda,
.
If you do not mind rating this I would greatly appreciate it.
.
Clicking the stars at the top right of your page, then click the green rate button.
.
Thank you for taking time to rate this.
.
If you find you have a problem being able to rate me, please let me know.