Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

What is the best way to clean mold off of antique furniture,

Customer Question

What is the best way to clean mold off of antique wood furniture, and what is the best polish to use.
JA: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the antiques appraiser, though. Tell us what else you do know and the antiques appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: it is a pre World War Two heavy wood dinning room set that was in the dinning room at my mother's. the largest china cabinet is almost eight feet long. The smaller China cabinet is 4 ft long and over 6 ft tall. We kept the heat and air on in the house for the past 8 years while I had mom is assisted living, but the most we dimly cousin and I did was vacuum and dust the outside of the cabinets.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the antiques appraiser should know?
Customer: There are carving on it and two kind of wood. I have photos if that would help
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 28 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as a dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-ups.

You first ask for cleaning method then list the sizes of the pieces.

Please send pictures of your pieces if you want values, too.

To send photos you may use the "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
This furniture has not been in the attic, but it was in a house that no one lived in for the past 8 yrs. It has only been dusted using furnture polish.
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 23 days ago.

Furniture manufacturers and other antiques dealers do not recommend most furniture polishes. The only liquids or sprays that do not harm the wood are ones like Endust.

The best chemicals to use on furniture are paste waxes like Briwax.

Here are some paste wax reviews:

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&tab=mw#safe=active&hl=en&q=wood+paste+wax+reviews

The paste wax should remove the mold. Follow the directions carefully.

The process takes a lot of effort but it does work.

There are various wood colors that the pastes come in. I highly recommend one of these that matches your type of wood.

The extra effort is worth it as your furniture will have a warm, rich glow.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 22 days ago.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris