Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

S. / My friend also purchased an antique wall mounted coffee

Robert S. /My friend also purchased an antique wall mounted coffee grinder while in Poland recently. It's made mostly from carved wood and in the shape of a Scotty dog. The head is removed to pour in the coffee beans. I could find any marks on it.Photos are attached. Please provided any details about this item as well as a current suggested retail value.Thanks,Craig K.

I wanted to let you know that someone has seen your question. I will forward this to the expert that you
requested to let him know a question has been posted for him.
I will opt out of this, so he can address this as soon as he signs in.

Rarewares

Hi Craig!

Just letting you know I got the coffee grinder, I'll have an answer for you as soon as I can.

Many thanks,
Robert

Hi Craig,

This is a neat piece of useful folk art, for sure.

Scottie dogs became the height of fashion in the 1920s and 1930s so this is the probable date for yours.

It was made in Germany and example of Black Forest or Schwarzwald carving. The coffee grinder is almost certainly by Peter Dienes (tradename "PeDe") or Robert Zassenhaus (early models were unmarked, later ones have "R.Z." embossed on the metal mill hopper, or "Zassenhaus" on the crank handle) and these were made by the thousands in Europe at the time as a wall mounted design with a coffee bean silo made in porcelain. This type sells on the secondary market in the range of $60 - $100, so would have a full retail/insurance value of at least $200.

However your figural version is very rare and would definitely add a good premium. The missing tail on the Scottie notwithstanding, yours would sell at auction in the range of $120 - $175.

Full retail/replacement/insurance value: $350.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Robert.

PS. I meant to add that the wall-board is nicely inlaid with marquetry and the board most likely 'borrowed' from an earlier piece of furniture or decorative panel, so I would class the whole ensemble, as "one-of-a-kind folk art" rather than as any kind of organized factory production. Best, R.

Experience: Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks again Robert. Your details make the piece even more special. The value is right in the range I had hoped.Appreciate the help,
Craig K.