Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I have 4 stack tables that are I believe is teak, hand

Customer Question

I have 4 stack tables that are I believe is teak wood, hand carved that my grandfather left me when he passed in the 80's. They are at least 80 years old as far as I know and supposedly came from Hong Kong. I would like to get an appraisal of them for insurance purposes.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the antiques appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: Not really. I can send pics or if you have a location in Las Vegas you would recommend to bring them in.
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 23 days ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your stacking tables.

Could you very kindly attach photos of them including a close up of the carving and one of the underneath where the legs join the top and I'll tell you all about them and give you a value.

Many thanks,

Robert.

PS. Once you have the photos in your computer (if you are using a smart phone camera, just email them to yourself) it's then a simple matter to attach them. Just click on the paperclip icon, located above the text box where you are typing to me. If there's no paperclip, click on the "Add files" tab.

You need to be logged in to the JustAnswer site to do this. You can’t do it from email.

If you get stuck go here for help.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Alternatively, if you can collar a passing teenager with an iPhone they would have photos posted here in about two minutes.

Thanks, R.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
There is one more table that is the largest but designed the same as the others.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Will your answer show here? Not interested in a call at this time.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
HELLO????
Expert:  Robert S. replied 23 days ago.

Thanks for the photos. That's all I need, I can see exactly what you have.
I understand, so there are four altogether in the set.

Leave this with me and I'll have a full answer and a value for you as soon as I can. No need to wait by the computer. You'll receive an email with my response.

Best wishes,
Robert.

PS. No need to respond to any phone request, it will cost you an extra $18 which you don't need to pay. The phone requests appear to come from me, but do not, they are automatically generated by the site. I don't work for JustAnswer, I operate as an independent appraiser ‘on’ but not ‘for’ the site, so have no control over what they put on your screen! So my apologies for that. Thanks, R.

Expert:  Robert S. replied 23 days ago.

Your set of nesting tables are indeed made of teak and judging by the style and detail of the carving, date to the early 1950s, so are approaching 70 years old.

They are typical of their kind with carved intaglio vignettes under the glazed top and on the apron, depicting oriental scenes.

This type of furniture, made exclusively for export to the West at the time, is a bit of a hard sell at the moment and so prices are not that great. This will change, as antiques, like everything else are subject to the pendulum swing of fashion.

This example, for instance, of four Chinese nesting tables, where the carving is more extensive and elaborate, sold at auction earlier this year for $100 which even so is on the low side.

If you were to sell yours at a local antique auction they would fetch in the range of $100 - $150 for the set of four.

They therefore have a full retail value (if you saw them for sale in an antique store, say) of $300. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.

I do hope this helps!

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance with this, I would be glad to.

Best wishes,
Robert.