Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

How can I get vintage postcards - early 1900s - appraised?

Customer Question

JA: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the antiques appraiser, though. Tell us what else you do know and the antiques appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: Some of the postcards are used with the postmark and the stamp intact - 1907, 1927, 1933, 1925, 1910, 1936. Some are unused - some not split in half on the backside, a cartoon postcard from 1908, etc.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the antiques appraiser should know?
Customer: Is it possible to send pictures of the collection and if so, how is it best done?
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 26 days ago.

Approximately how many postcards do you have and are any Halloween theme and are there real photo postcards as well?

~Nora

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
29 postcards - Early 1900's - some used - some new - yes, there are some real photo postcards ie picture of Oregon forest copyrighted 1902 - no Halloween in these. Am trying to send files of cards I scanned and I keep getting an error message.
Expert:  Nora replied 26 days ago.

The value really depends on the subject matter, condition and publisher, but for the most part, they are generally in the $1 - $10 range. The best first method for research would be though Ebay and checking their past auction sales (which goes back on 60 days) and short specific word search of each of your postcards will likely yield matches or subject comparables to help you gauge sale value.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 24 days ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora