rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a silver or silverplate tray, large, heavy, but only

Customer Question

I have a silver or silverplate tray, large, heavy, but only marked on the bottom with a pineapple stamp and the word England. No other letters or symbols. Is this an imposter Barker Ellis piece?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the antiques appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: The tray was just given to us by a retiring doctor who has a lot of "antique" items in his house he is giving to friends. The tray is very tarnished, but as I said there are only two stamps on the bottom, the pineapple stamp which is very similar to the Barker Ellis or Barker Brothers pineapple, but there are no letters after it (like E P N S as I've seen on line), and the word "England" is toward the lower area of the tray bottom, while the pineapple stamp is on the upper area of the tray bottom. The designs on the tray are very swirling (almost like paisley), and the sides and middle of the tray.
JA: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the antiques appraiser, though. Is there anything else important you think the antiques appraiser should know?
Customer: It is an oval tray, 26 inches long, 18 1/2 inches wide, with four round feet with samall darker circles in center of each foot (where is was sitting while being worked on?). Weight of tray is 6 lbs.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 month ago.

My name isCustomerand I would love to help. There were no photos of the piece that came with your original inquiry.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the mark on the bottom and of the piece.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here are some photos.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do not currently have a working phone. Can only be contacted by email. Sorry!
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 month ago.

I do not participate in the phone service. I can work from your photos, so we are good there.

I will work on this now and you will get an email with my answer in a few minutes.

Expert:  rarewares replied 1 month ago.

This pineapple mark is that of Ellis Barker (also known as Barker-Ellis)

of Birmingham, England since 1931. They began selling in the US using this pineapple

mark on silver plate in 1912 and eventually became a division of US-based Towle Silversmiths.

This is a silver plate reticulated edge tray made circa 1915 with corner shields (for a monogram),

ball feet and engraved flourishes on the bed of the tray. While silver plated items do not usually

garner a high price, this one is a magnificent example and would have a current value of $125 to $150 retail.

Some sites that I recommend for selling are Varagesale.com, Ioffer.com, OfferUp.com, Ebay and letgo.com.
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.

To finish, I will need you to click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the green submit button, thanks!

Expert:  rarewares replied 1 month ago.

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.