Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I want to know what an old painting is worth. The artist

Customer Question

I want to know what an old painting is worth.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the antiques appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: The artist signs his name "Orlando." It's about 15" by 20" and there is a registry on the back signed by him where he also entered a registry number that is very hard to make out but I think it is 13-967948. It also has an old piece of paper stapled to the back that is partially torn and I will indicate that with blanks. What I can read is "Pietrovanni Orlando -- He is know as Orlando, as he very infrequently uses his full name. He was born in Italy and has lived a typical Ital***** *****fe. His father was an artist in a suburb of Naples, and when Orlando was born in 1931, he was elated to have a son to follow in his footsteps. In his studies, he was supervised by his father ______________________ and when he was 14 years old he went to the ______________________ Institute where he took a major in sketching ______________________. On the advice of his professors, he began ______________________ color by reproduction from real life situations ______________________. He has enjoyed success in his exhibits and ______________________ currently in the United States." My father bought this for my mother in the late 1950's but I don't know where. (We were living in Pennsylvania but he was working near New York City and would come home on the weekends bearing gifts. It is a painting showing pink, red, and white roses on a grayish-green background in a greenish-gray vase. That's about all I can tell you.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the antiques appraiser should know?
Customer: I mentioned that he signed the back but I can expand on that. There is a section on the back that is about 5' x 2" that has wording that looks like it was stamped on and Orlando filled in 2 of the blanks. I can tell it was him because the handwriting matched his signature on the front. The stamp says "FWA.....ARTIST: (Orlando was written in); SUBJECT: (that was left blank); REGISTRY NO. 16- (Orlando wrote in 13-67948 [I think]); THE ARTIST RETAINS COPYWRIGHT; REPRODUCTION IS PROHIBITED"
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 3 months ago.

My name isCustomerand I would love to help. The next step would be for me to see pictures of the painting,
signature and any labels on the back of the completed framing.
Use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures one at a time.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I tried sending you the first picture and it said it was too large and it wants me to "try a file 5MB or smaller." Could I send them to you via email? Do you know what I can do to decrease the size of the pics?

I have a few options and one is email...

1)You can add them to the Add Files feature as a compressed .zip file, but I don't know your level of computer ability.

2) If the Add Files feature on your screen does not work for you,
you can go here and use the green NEW POST button then paste the address
back here in the text box and I'll be able to see all of your items.

3) You can email pictures to***@******.*** and put 'forCustomerin antiques' in the subject line.
Use the same email that you used when creating your account so that they will recognize you.
These do not arrive instantly, so thanks in advance for some patience when sending this way (might be overnight).