Steven-R
Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  I am a retired Major, US Army, and an antiques and collectibles consultant based on the east coast.
74160645

I have a Japanese divider 4 panel,6 feet tall, all with

Customer Question

I have a Japanese divider 4 panel,6 feet tall, all wood with figures on one side an flowers on other side, the figures which are painted an Stan out from the wood appear to be Jade, along the temple,an other things like fish,dragon,flowerpot,etc
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Steven-R replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am pleased to assist you. You appear to have a 20th century or newer standard type oriental motif room divider as is still being produced today. The older examples tend to be a bit more detailed and the hinges generally made of iron rather than brass.

These tend to retail in the under $750 range on the open secondary market today. The better quality examples use real abalone and are inlayed, rather than applied. There are many inexpensive examples which actually originate in China which retail new for under $300, but they tend to be a bit more flimsy and poorly made than yours.

Many 20th century examples use hard resin or plastic which simulates jade and abalone--you can check to see if yours is authentic or not simply by heating up a pin to red hot and poking it in an obscure location--the plastic and resin will dimple a bit, whereas authentic materials will not be impressed at all.

If I may assist you further in any manner at all, please just ask.

Have a blessed weekend.

With kind regards,

Steve

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Tried the pin, nothing happen, the faces of the
details appear to be ivory also,sure is heavy thanks for the info
Expert:  Steven-R replied 6 months ago.

That is a good thing! Again, I have seen MANY of these over the years--I doubt it is much older than the 1960s, honestly--but still, a very attractive item and seems to be in fine repair.

With kind regards, ***** ***** a safe and blessed weekend,

Steve