Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

Vintage & Antique Books: I'd love to learn whatever I can on

Customer Question

Vintage & Antique Books: I'd love to learn whatever I can on them. If more pics, info, measurements are needed, let me know. I'm just trying to get the conversation started as I've limited time to spend on this buggy ass system...
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 month ago.

Hello again, Ivan?

I cannot take all these books in one question. I can take four of them.

Please choose which ones and tell me the following information about each....

Title

Author

Publisher

Date of publication

Does it have the original dust jacket?

Type of binding - leather, hardback, paperbook, cloth, etc.

Condition using a scale of 1-10 where 10 is excellent.

I look forward to your replies.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No worries, we think we've finally worked out the bugs. Lets start with these 4 & then I'll re-post the same pic only for you & so on &so fourth...
1. Green Book with Gold - The Boston Museum of Fine Arts By Julia De Wolf Addison / copyright, 1910 by L.C. Page & Company / First Impression May 1910 / Illustrated / Not sure if any of the books missing DJs came with them or not to begin with.
My family were big in the arts & had lived in South Boston since the late 1800s, so I think its a first edition. Regarding condition, I have much more experience grading comics, but I'm hoping to be close to the mark. That beings said, the book is 100% intact (give or take a DJ), clean with the slightest of tanning(?) on the first & last few pages only, generally tight with only the first illustration of ***** ***** with tissue is completely loose (see pic) but still fits right back into place & aside from the tiny dings to the covers & spine, it appears to have never been read or if it were, it was with amazing care as this books looks fantastic to us, especially considering the age (in fact, it was nearly mint when it came into my possession but sadly, I did not care for it as well as I should have & left it stacked in piles with the other great many books I inherited as I wasn't as wise & careful as I am now, so most of the dings occurred on my watch & I hope are relatively minor & easy enough to correct by the one with the proper know-how...) so rather than a 1-10 scale, we would be more comfortable with the scale below, if its ok with you & grade it as Very Good or if we had to choose a #, maybe a 6 or 7?
Fine/Excellent
Very Good
Good
Acceptable2. Small Blue Book in Back is The Essayes of Michael Lord of Montaigne Vol 2 Translated by John Florio / Printed in Great Britain at The University Press, Oxford By ***** *****, Printer to the University (Oxford University Press) / Florio's 1st translation was 1st published in 1603. In 'The World's Classics" the 1st vol was published in 1904 & the 2nd/3rd in 1906. The 2nd vol was reprinted in 1920 & 1929, so we're guessing this dates to 1929...I took far better care of this & considering everything, I'm pretty confident saying its Excellent ;-)3. Brown textured (leather?) Book with Gold in front is The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam Translated into English verse by Edward Fitzgerald / Published in NY by the Dodge Publishing Company / copyright 1916 By Dodge Publishing Company
As most of our books, the interiors are 100% intact, clean, tight & off-white (unless otherwise & pic will be added) & the issues typically impact only the covers, spine, edges & are hopefully easier to overlook...I'm thinking Good.4. Green Book with embroidered Pegasus & whatnot is Beauties of Tennyson by & we're guessing, by Lady Clara Vere De Vere (due to her pic) / Copyright by 1885 By Porter & Coates Philadelphia / 20 illustrations by Frederic B Schell & due to the covers, the interior is lovely, Good? Maybe Good/Very Good (not sure because of bubble on back which is new to us)ok, WE'LL SEND MORE PICS ALONG NEXT & the next 4 bOOKS questions in a timely fashion ;-)

Ivan,

Thank you for the information and descriptions They really help.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I want you to have the best answer.

This is going to take time.

I hope to finish in a couple of hours.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

I have completed the research but I do not have good news.

As I have been told by book dealers, condition is a huge factor plus how many copies were published is the other major factor in determining value. Although the oldest printed book is the Bible (1450s), a collection of very old Bibles is worth very little when compared to other books of the same period because so many copies were printed at the same time.

These are the retail values I found in the numbered order you gave me...

1. $45 - perfect condition; #14 - good condition.

2. $25 - excellent

3. $35-40 - good

4. $35-40 - very good.

I truly wish I had better news.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

!.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
bOSTON mUSEUM pICS
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Montaigne Essays Pic

Thank you for the photos. Still, they do not change my assessments. I used the condition of the books I found and used as references for values. I list those conditions with my values.

You can value your books within the ranges of values I gave depending on the specific condition of each of your books.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Brown Leather Bookok, I just saw your response, it takes me hours to work on this book question w/the pics so sorry to bog you down with them, I'll go ahead & send what I've already scanned for you & will send you the next 4 questions.

What I really needed was information from the title pages so I could have the necessary data. I checked back through what I asked for just now. I cannot find where I asked for photos of the outside. I already had the first picture of all the books that you sent.

You listed all the information I needed so I really did not need photos to give accurate answers.

I am so very sorry for the mix up. I really only take one item per question but you paid a little more than average for your answer so I took 4 items.

Again, I am very sorry you felt you had to take all those pictures.

To make thing easier in your next question about books, you do not need to list all the information. Just send clear photos of the title pages. If there is any other information needed I will ask.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Hi Doris, I see this is closed, so I hope that my positive feedback is still accepted. I also wanted to let you know that I spoke to someone in management, who explained that I was having so many problems because I was asking too many questions & despite the guarantee that one can ask endless questions, one is only allowed 15 questions per a billing cycle. I asked him if he was aware whether or not the experts knew that we were actually limited in the amount of questions that we can ask, as you & a few other experts insist on answering 1 question at a time whereas others are happy to help me with 4 to 5 similar items at a time, obviously maximizing my membership as I have so very many objects to identify & after a frustrated sigh, he said that the experts were well aware of the limitations...Anyhoo, I enjoy working with you & you're very informative on many different things, that being said, if you're only comfortable with 1 question at a time, I completely understand.
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 25 days ago.

We are told that we must answer about all the items asked about in the initial question.

We are not obligated to answer about additional items not originally part of the question.

If you want to make a question asking initially about multiple items, the pro has a choice as to whether he/she will choose your question to answer.

Please keep in mind, that you must specifically ask about the items you want answered in the original question. You cannot tack on additional items after that. That is called "stacking" which is against site rules.

I will take three of you books at a time but please be willing to pay more than average.

I am only credited by JA for my work on this question if you rate my answer positively, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Alright Doris, I don't think you understand my question, especially as it has nothing to do with stacking. My problem is with the experts & web people/supervisors, being all over the map & there being no consistency whatsoever. I was told that I continued to have so many difficulties with the website (i.e. being unable to leave ratings or read answers I was able to read previously, etc.) because despite being guaranteed unlimited questions, there's actually a limit of 15 questions per a billing cycle, which I still believe is bait & switch, but I was assured that there's "really a limit & there's NOT endless" questions was buried somewhere in the small print.So, I was also informed that the experts know that we have a limited amount of questions to ask & you, along with 3 others, had agreed to look at 4 to 5 similar items at a time, but when I'm trying to get the actual number that you are comfortable with, as I have hundreds of objects & no one still alive in my family to tell me a thing about them, I get a bizarre lecture on stacking...I hope you can understand my confusion & frustration, especially as you agreed to evaluate 4 of the several similar books above, in the same string, before I could address the remaining books question to you, you are now only willing to look at 3, not 4 anymore. I've even thought about applying as an expert writer to this site, but its so extremely difficult to get the simplest of tasks completed, not to mention a consistent answer.Finally, I honestly don't understand why my membership continues to get messed with on a semi-daily basis, but I'm not using this site for professional reasons, i.e., I'm not making any money selling the objects or whatnot, if that's even the continual offense I'm guilty of, I'm an extremely busy, disabled, single mother of an 18 months old on state medicaid & food stamps. My father (back in NH) & I are the last members of an aristocratic Irish family. I have a storage unit, filled to capacity, of a great many items to identify. I've identified what I could over the last 5 years or so, but I pay the membership fees to this site in order to document everything that I can so that one day, when my princess inherits all of this, she'll at least know what she has.I'm adding the above in order to demonstrate why I really just want to have a clear understanding of how many SIMILAR items you are willing to work with at a time, 4 or 3 & hopefully get back to the task of identifying all of the wonderful items. Like I said, 2 other experts are already willing to work with 4 similar items per question due to my unusual circumstances & if you rather not work with me & prefer sticking to the 1 item per 1 question, I completely understand & no offense felt. I just can't afford your expertise anymore although I'm certain that they'll be 1 or 2 items down the road that only you can identify, so you won't be forgotten ;-)
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 24 days ago.

i understand you.

Please know i realize the problem but we pros have nothing to do with site policies including advertising.

We only are credited with a portion of what you pay and only when we are rated positively.

Please express your feelings to customer support.

Site Charges:

We professionals are not considered employees of Just Answer, We are verified by the site to answer questions in our fields. We are considered site users just like you. Therefore we have no knowledge of or control over the finances of the site or what they charge customers.
If you wish to discuss site charges, you may contact customer support at

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Or by phone:

US/Canada 1.***-***-****
Available 6am to 9pm PST

International
Australia 1800-679-634
New Zealand 0800-452-621
United Kingdom 0***-***-****
The rest of the world 1-***-***-****

Kind regards,

Doris