Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

Vintage & Antique Stuffed animals: I'd love to learn

Customer Question

Vintage & Antique Stuffed animals: I'd love to learn whatever I can on them. If more pics, info, measurements are needed, let me know. I'm just trying to get the conversation started as I've limited time to spend on this buggy ass system...
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 29 days ago.

Hello

I wanted to let you know your question has been seen, if there is an expert who can answer this. They will pick it up when they sign on. I will opt out of this to allow them to pick it up.

Glenda

Expert:  Nora replied 27 days ago.

High average sale value on these is $5 per piece. The llama doll is from South America, likely Peru. The velvet cricket may have more value if there is a tag or label on it. The pink and yellow bunny is from the late 1960's - early 1970s. Beanie Baby market is flat and likely will not recover to the sale prices during the height of its collecting mania. The white bear with green eyes is vintage, around 1960's, and may have a higher value if there is a tag. The small brown bear, if mohair and tagged also may have a higher value. The larger brown bear is fairly contemporary.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Hi there, sorry for the 1 pic & I've come to learn that the preference of items is 4-5 at once, which I assume is how you prefer it. So, allow me to add some more details to better assist you. We'll skip the 10" Boyds, Paddy McDoodle, bear (with green ribbon) & go with the other bears.
1. I used to think that the 14" bear, with movable/posable limbs, was my father's, b.1949, but upon more careful inspection, it feels like there's something hard, that clicks inside of it, like when you squeezed it, it said something...
2. The smaller 7" bear was my father's & others have told me possibly a Steif?
3. The Beaver is also very old & its fur is not very soft such as todays plush, its very stiff overall, especially the tail, but still squeezable, did Steiff make beavers?
4. The 10" white bear with green eyes is actually a cat & really old...
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
ok....
Expert:  Nora replied 27 days ago.

Thank you for the images. My personal preference is one item at a time per question, it is much less confusing on this end to see one set of images for one item.

From the new set of images here, the larger bear does appear to be mid 20th century, mohair, and what you feel is the teddy bear's voice box. This can sell for up to $40 without tags. The small bear does not appear to be a Steiff, no. Yes, Steiff did make a beaver doll named Nagy, and yours is a match. Without tags, the Nagy sells for $20 - $40 on today's market, with tags, up to $75 - $95 at auction. The comparables (not exact matches) that I am finding for white mohair cat dolls with glass eyes are dated to 1905 - 1930's and selling for up to $350 each.

~Nora

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Great, just one more thing re: the green-eyed cat. I'm sending one more pic, as the flash makes it white but its more tan/brown, then we can move to the next ones ;-)
Expert:  Nora replied 26 days ago.

The comparable 'white' cats that i found were about the same color range.

Boyd's bears are a bit flat on the market, the plush Paddy McDoodle would garner $5 - $15.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 25 days ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora