Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

I have a very large buffet that I purchased at an

Customer Question

I have a very large buffet that I purchased at an auction...it uses old skeleton keys....it is in a trailer along with an old 8' stained glass window, so I can't post a pictureof the whole thing, but I do have a picture the piece that drew me to it in the first place....any help would be appreciated!
Thank you!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! I wanted to let you know that someone has seen your question. We thank you for your patience.

I will opt-out so that the other Appraisals specialists online will see your questions.

Kind regards,

Doris

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello

Can you give me a detailed description and possible age of this and I can value it for you?

Glenda

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Glenda,
I have attached another photo, it is the best that I have right now as it is being stored. It's a pretty large piece and I was told it was few hundred years old, but there is now way for me to know...I was trying to figure where the piece may have come from and age of it...I just loved the soldiers head popping out of the front of it, that's whyour I bought it.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi Amy

Wow, this is great. How long is this? It looks very much like the German Shrunk pieces that were so popular coming out of Germany in the 30-40's era.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Probably 5 feet long
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
A couple more pictures....
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am having a very hard time finding pieces online that have the carved head head on them???
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 month ago.

Can you show me what this head looks like from the side?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here you go:)
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 month ago.

For some reason on my end it is cutting off the top of the head. I am trying to see the whole side, he is wearing a helmet and I think maybe if I can see it I might be able to determine what soldier this is, to give us an idea where this is from.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Let's try this one...
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 month ago.

Thanks

I am going to look in my books to see if I can find what kind of soldier this is. I will be back soon. I know the wood on this is oak and hand carved.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sounds great...thank you!
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 month ago.

.

After looking in my furniture books, it seems this is a Victorian piece, depicting an early French Soldier, ( during the crusades ) this was a very popular style during the Victorian Era of early 1900's, they carved heads like this into doors, furniture and other wood working. The shape of this man's face, his mustache lean to the French.

.

.
This is your answer, please rate this after reading it. This is important to me getting credit for my work.
.

The Antique Carved Oak Back Board / Buffet has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $6***-**-****.00 depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally.
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great!
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.
.

Glenda,
.
If you do not mind rating this I would greatly appreciate it.
.
Clicking the top star on the top left of the page does this
.
Thank you for taking time to rate this.
.
If you find you have a problem being able to rate me, please let me know.

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 22 days ago.

I'm just checking in once again to see how things are going.
.
Let me know if you still need help with this question.
.
I will be happy to help with any further question you might have on this.
.
I strive to answer any and all questions a customer might have in order for you to have a enjoyable experience with me as an appraiser.
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 22 days ago.

.
.
I will be happy to help with any further question you might have on this. So I might get rated on this.
.

.
Thank you so much!
Glenda