Steven-R
Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  I am a retired Major, US Army, and an antiques and collectibles consultant based on the east coast.
74160645

I want to get a hunting knife appraised that i believe

Customer Question

I want to get a hunting knife appraised that i believe belongs to Sgt. James p. O Connor given by a Claude Hupp.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the antiques appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: I have photos of the knife and the names incribed on the sheath.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the antiques appraiser should know?
Customer: Not off hand.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 month ago.

If you could post an image, that would be most helpful...and advise the dimensions. You can easily upload them to www.imgur.com and then send the link to them back here, if the photo attachment tool is not working for you.

With kind regards,

Steve

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
http://imgur.com/a/q94Xs is the link to view pictures. be careful I got an eye full by suprice when trying to access this link.
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 month ago.

My apology for the delay, but the site is locking up today and timing out--you have a very fine example of a pre-WWII era hunting knife made by Union Cutlery of Olean, NY, prior to 1923. The company evolved into the brand name KA-BAR, which was the finest fighting knife produced in the United States in WWII. As combat knives were in short supply early in WWII, hunting knives such as yours were often provided to soldiers by their friends and family. You can likely find Sgt. O'Conner using the online research base, https://www.fold3.com/, if you wish to learn more about him. Likewise, you can likely find Claude by doing a census search on Ancestry.com and that may tell you a bit more about them. Your knife has the original leather sheath, which is important, and in most markets the retail value, pending the service record of the Sergeant, would be around $125-175 to a collector. The pattern is scarce and with the identification, it would be in strong collector demand today.

If I can help further in any way, PLEASE just ask!

With kind regards,

Steve