Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I purchased a c1895 4 frame locket which i was told was 9ct

Customer Question

I purchased a c1895 4 frame locket which i was told was 9ct gold. i paid $800 and need to be sure ive paid for what im getting as they couldnt tell me anything on this item apart from what i just told u. the jewllers sell for a lady who goes to auctions under consignment is there any way i can find out more information on this so called antique locket
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i click the add files icon to add more photos then it shows the file but when i click send it wont go through on ur web page ?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sorry here are more photos
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.

I have been an antiques and art collector as well as dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-ups.

I am not sure I understand all the information you gave.

Is this correct -

You paid $800 for a locket that a jeweler told you was made of 9ct gold and dated ca1895, Is this correct?

Have you taken the piece to be tested to see if it is 9ct? It does not look as though it is solid gold.

Are there any marks stamped into the metal? These are mostly to be on the rims.

I look forward to your replies.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
jeweller said he would take a scraping and test in acid, his response in a text message was he couldnt be 100% sure of the metal used he would rather refund my money. i was told it was from the century of 1895 but they do not know exact year or even its origin. should i take back my money and run, they know nothing really at all they are just going off what the lady said to them who bought the piece at an auction and sells her stuff in their shop on consignment.

I do not believe it is solid gold. There are too many spots on the metal. The gold plating might be 9ct but this would not indicate solid gold.

It looks old and I do feel it is probably at least 40 years old but not over 80 years old.

$800 is far too much for this poorly ID marked piece as unusual as it is.

I would take it back for a refund.

I truly wish I had better news.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i paid $800 and yes they had ticket on locket that said antique c1895 i took it back to get more info because it looked to me like brass or some type of metal inside this is why i started to really question them on how much they knew and why they thought it was 9ct gold and from c1895 they told me they trusted the lady who buys from auctions and she has only come across 4 of them in the whole time she has gone to auctions. im assuming the 2 disks front and back of locket are gold but
would that warrant a price tag of $800 what is a piece like this worth if its made of brass and gold or just metal still in the century of 1895 onwards? what stamps should i find on rim? Thank u for your expertise

You should see either a 375 ( 37.5% of solid gold - represents the quality of 9ct gold) or you should see 9 ct or 9 K.

I used to carry antique jewelry, including many lockets, in my former store. Yes, the 4 compartment locket is unusual but almost certainly not as old as 1895.

The front and back disks may also be plated as these do not get the same wear at the rims.

Even if you are correct that the rims are brass and the front and back are gold with a date of 1895, the locket should not be priced over $500.

Again, I hope this helps.

Please consider giving me a POSITIVE RATING. It is the only way I AM CREDITED BY JUST ANSWER for my knowledge, time and work.
You should see five stars. This is where you rate me.

Kind regards,

Doris