Steven-R
Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  I am a retired Major, US Army, and an antiques and collectibles consultant based on the east coast.
74160645

Trying to get an age and origin on a gold ring i found, gold

Customer Question

trying to get an age and origin on a gold ring i found
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the antiques appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: gold ring possibly 22k seems very old, possibly american indian or asian. it has marking but i cant read them, seems like chinese markings
JA: Is there anything else the antiques appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 month ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your interesting gold ring.

Could you very kindly attach a photo of it and a clear image of the marks.

Many thanks,

Robert.

PS. Once you have the photos in your computer (if you are using a smart phone camera, just email them to yourself) it's then a simple matter to attach them. Just click on the paperclip icon, located above the text box where you are typing to me. If there's no paperclip, click on the "Add files" tab.

You need to be logged in to the JustAnswer site to do this. You can’t do it from email.

If you get stuck go here for help.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Alternatively, if you can collar a passing teenager with an iPhone they would have photos posted here in about two minutes.

Also, . I know how hard it is take good close-up pictures of marks, so I sympathize, however here are some tips I use to make it easier.

• Use the strongest possible angled light you can find (not flash).
  • Select the macro function (that's the little flower icon) on your camera.
  • Rest the camera and the item on the table (on a towel, say) so everything is stock steady as you take the photo.
  • Slowly slide the item towards the lens until it's in focus, keeping both the camera and the item on the table as you click.
  • Take 100s and delete them as you go until you get a good one.
  • If you are using an iPhone, touch the screen where you want the image to be sharpest and it will automatically correct the focus and the lighting.

Hope this is helpful!

R.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it wont let me upload one picture, keeps saying the file is to large??
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 month ago.

Okay, not sure why that is, it usually reduces the file size automatically.

Try this instead: just upload them to a free public picture hosting site and give me the link to them. The one I prefer is www.imgur.com

Just two clicks and a copy and paste and you are done.

Go to http://www.imgur.com/
(no need to 'sign in' or 'sign up' it makes it too complicated)
Click on "New Post"
Click on "Browse"
Select the pictures you want to send me from the box that pops up.
Hit "open".
Click on "Copy"
and paste it here where you are typing to me.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here are the pictures
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 month ago.

Thanks so much for the photos, unfortunately I can't make anything out from the marks so I'm going to opt out so someone else can answer. Your question will go back on the open board for all experts to see and someone will respond if and when they know the answer.

You don't have to do anything your end, they will see our conversation here and the photos.

Best wishes and sorry I couldn't help.
Robert.

Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am pleased to try to assist you. I have seen a pattern similar to that before, as the oval and rays represent the sun--the one I recall most was Masonic, and there was a tiny ruby instead of the raised gold "dot" in yours. The style is very much like examples manufactured in the late 19th and early 20th century in both Europe and the United States and I don't think they are maker markings on the inside, but rather the indentations from the raised casting on the other side. Many of these were made in both 18k and 22k gold, but you would need to have it tested by a jeweler (or buy an inexpensive kit yourself from a site such as eBay.com) to confirm the karat grade.

It is likely from the Art Noveau era (1890-1910) based on the way the designs are represented. Unfortunately, there isn't an incredible market for the style at present so the bulk of the actual value will be based on the gold content. There will be an additional premium of approximately 25% above that value because it is an attractive ring. Gold at present is about $30-31 per gram for 18k and $38-39 per gram for 22k. To calculate the value, once you have determined the actual purity, simply multiply the gram weight times the dollar amount stated above then add 25% for the form of the ring. That will put you pretty close to real world market in most all situations.

If I can be of further assistance in any manner at all, please do not hesitate to ask.

Have a blessed day!

With kind regards,

Steve

Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 month ago.

By the way, if you want to test ANY gold for purity, the test kits are called, simply, gold test kits...for example, see item number 310825248614 on www.ebay.com

These kits are inexpensive and come in very handy!

With kind regards,

Steve