Steven-R
Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  I am a retired Major, US Army, and an antiques and collectibles consultant based on the east coast.
74160645

During the 70s and 80s I collected (or should I say my

Customer Question

Hi Michelle, During the 70s and 80s I collected (or should I say my Mother collected them for me) Madame Alexander dolls - and at time I had every country doll they made. Now in my 40s with two boys, I would like to sell my collection. They were always kept in boxes and are in near mint condition. What, in your opion, is the best way for me to sell?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am pleased to offer you assistance. You have several options available to you for selling the items, but I must advise you that the market for these finely crafted items is not as strong as it was several decades ago--and values have, in many cases, gone down well below the original issue prices. It certainly does help when you have the original boxes for them, as you have stated.

I can offer you several options which will yield the best results for you if you wish--it is no longer as important as it used to be as to where you live as the internet has opened up the secondary market world at your fingertips via the internet.

One of the more popular venues for sale would be the internet auction site of www.ebay.com if you wish to attempt to market them yourself (and not pay a consignment or auction fee to another business). You can also use eBay as a ready indicator of what the items typically sell for by going to Search, then Advanced Search, and checking prices realized. There are also many businesses who will list the items for you, should you not wish to do it yourself. You would need a digital camera, however, as providing good, clear images is key to a positive sales experience.

Should you wish to sell locally, you can also place free ads under collectibles on www.Craigslist.com specific to your area--again, I would recommend you research the average selling prices via eBay to set you asking prices on each. If you decide to "bundle" them, expect about a 25% reduction in what you would get if selling individually.

You can also consult local auction houses and consign your dolls to an upscale estate sale--the fee is typically 20-30% in most regions. You can also contact local collector and antique shops and arrange consignments, too--so there are many ways to liquidate the dolls, all depending on your ultimate goal. It is not a bad idea, as you have so many, to try several venues initially and see which performs the best for you.

If I can be of further assistance in ANY manner on this topic for you, PLEASE do not hesitate to ask.

With kind regards,

Steve