Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have a figurine" A Dark Secret" in excellent condition Boy

Customer Question

I have a figurine " A Dark Secret" in excellent condition Boy has blue shirt and girl has pink dress. I would like to know if it is valuable.
JA: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: It is Heubach Porcelain Bisque and is 6.5 inches tall. # 46 on inside bottom and 2 round marks on back outside.
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: The back of it is unfinished white. It has no chips or cracks that I can see.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

See the following image. Tell me if it is like yours. How tall is yours?

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it's like mine. It is about 6 inches tall
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do I have to call you to find out it's value?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Doris, I have changed my mind about the appraisal and need to have my card credited since I am not getting an appraisal. I do not feel I should pay a lawyer for a refund. Please advise.

Answers here are not instantaneous. Research is necessary for most answers that are accurate.

I do not accept requests for phone calls. I give my best answers in thoughtful writing.

Besides, you will have an assessment to print out. There are extra charges for phone calls. I do not send pop-ups.

My research indicates that your rare German Gebruder Heubach figurine has an estimated retail value of $415 assuming good condition and depending on sale location.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com
Bonanza.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.