Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a copeland spode Toby Jug, but it looks like a 18th

Customer Question

I have a copeland spode Toby Jug, but it looks like a 18th Century figure with a floral coat pouring from a pitcher into a cup. Can I send a picture?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: I used to collect unusual ceramics, but we are remodeling and I need to clear out some of my collections. It's a useful jug that I bought in England and I was thinking of selling it on Ebay.
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: There is a hairline mark, not a crack, near the top of his tricorner hat, but when you run your finger over it, you can't feel anything.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 6 months ago.

My name isCustomerand I would love to help. There were no photos of the piece that came with your original inquiry.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the mark on the bottom and of the piece.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

If that is too much bother, you can email pictures to***@******.*** and put 'forCustomerin antiques' in the subject line.
Use the same email that you used when creating your account so that they will recognize you.
These do not arrive instantly, so thanks in advance for some patience when sending this way (might be overnight).

Once you do, give me some time to research.

No need to sit by the computer, you will get an email when I respond.

(NOTE: I do not participate in the phone service.)

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I sent photos and I just received a notice that you sent a message on my phone, but I can't see anything new. Its the same message as the original...
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just cancelled my membership. Thank you.

I asked for photos which are necessary to assess any item, this does not cost extra.

Sorry that you felt that you had to cancel your membership.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not your fault. I had already spent $5. deposit, $37. membership FOR A FREE TRIAL, and then I was automatically offered a phone consultation for an additional $34., all to find out if my Toby Jug was worth anything to sell. I just felt like the website was too expensive for what I had in mind. Since the website encouraged me to try out the free trial, I also asked for an appraisal for a pair of 16" Blackamoors that I planned to sell. I got the same notification that I could pay an additional $34. to talk to another appraiser on the phone. It was all too much for me. I looked both items up on eBay and it was worth much less than what I was paying just to get an answer though I found the Blackamoors for $360. I'm sure you are good at what you do. I just felt I had to stop it because I was getting in over my head in added unforseen costs. Thank you for your efforts.

I understand. I do not participate in the phone service (that is an optional pop-up that the site sends to everyone, though).

because I work from photos. I do hope you will consider using just answer again at some point knowing this info. Once you wade through

saying the 'no thank yous' to the extra options, I'm always happy to help. Until next time,

Customer/p>