Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I have a figurine of a child with a stethoscope and syringe

Customer Question

Good evening
I have a figurine of a child with a stethoscope and syringe in his hand. The bottom is impressed
porcelain over N with a crown on top and capo di monte underneath.
Could you possibly help me identify this piece and it's value.
Thank you in advance for any help you can lend.
Vicky
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I thought this was immediate and that an appraiser was online NOW!
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. There were no photos of the piece that came with your original inquiry.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the mark on the bottom and of the piece.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

If that is too much bother, you can email pictures to***@******.*** and put 'for rarewares in antiques' in the subject line.
Use the same email that you used when creating your account so that they will recognize you.
These do not arrive instantly, so thanks in advance for some patience when sending this way (might be overnight).

Once you do, give me some time to research.

No need to sit by the computer, you will get an email when I respond.

(NOTE: I do not participate in the phone service.)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here you go. Thank you
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for the great pictures.

I will work on this and get back to you today.

You will get an email when I respond.

Expert:  rarewares replied 1 month ago.

I am unable to find a match for this item. I will opt-out and allow another expert to answer.
They will see our conversation and your photos. I am not able to respond once I opt-out. Good luck!

Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 month ago.

Hi Vicky,

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your Capodimonte figurine.

He was made by the Italian artist/modeler Gino Pezzato who produced a whole series of charming children figurines from the 1950s through the 1970s, very much in the style of Goebel's Hummel figurines which were so hugely popular at the time and these were clearly produced to cash in on that popularity, -what I call a "me-too" operation.

The signature on the base reads G. Pezzato though you'd be forgiven for not being able to figure it out as the "P" has not impressed properly.

Each of the figurines came with a Certificate of Authenticity tag confirming that the piece was made in the traditional way that was done at the original 18th century porcelain manufactury in Naples, the "Real Casa Capodimonte" (the "Royal House of Capadimonte") and stamped as such with the crowned N.

Having said that, there's no direct connection with the original Capodimonte. After it ceased production forever in the mid-1800s the crowned N mark came up for grabs and has been used Europe-wide ever since by scores of factories, each one trading on the recognition of the royal mark. The Pezzato factory was just one of them. It was located in Creazzo, near Vicenza, in Northern Italy and nowhere near Naples.

As for value, these Pezzato figures do have a modest following of collectors. If you were to see your little boy doctor for sale in an antique shop, for instance , he would have a full retail value of about $75. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.

Expect to get 30% - 40% of this if you were to sell at a good antique auction house or on line (eBay etc).

I do hope this helps!

Please let me know if you'd like me to explain or expand further, I would be glad to.

Best wishes,
Robert.