rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a great set of antique copper luster pottery.... with

Customer Question

HI... I have a great set of antique copper luster pottery.... with Spain written on the bottom... do you have a clue about this?
JA: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: My grandparents owned this.... and we have just always had it.... I see copper luster ware from England, but its not quite the same... plus mine says "Spain" hand written on the bottom
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: it seems years ago, I found a platter in a museum in Los Angeles, in its own case.... but have not seen it anywhere else
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 month ago.

I would love to help. There were no photos that came with your question. This is a problem that the site has been having and it is not your fault.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the items and any writing or labels on the bottoms. Sorry for any extra work!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Users/linnb/Desktop/IMG_7450.jpg/Users/linnb/Desktop/IMG_7453.jpg/Users/linnb/Desktop/IMG_7452.jpg/Users/linnb/Desktop/IMG_7451.jpg
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Let me try to do this for you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Did you get them?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Users/linnb/Desktop/IMG_7455.jpg/Users/linnb/Desktop/IMG_7454.jpg
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 month ago.

No, this did not work. These were file paths, but pictures.

Here are some instructions that should help. http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sorry I think I may have clicked the wrong button... grrrr.... I sent more of the pieces... did you get them?
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 month ago.

No. If that is too much bother, you can email pictures to***@******.*** and put 'forCustomerin antiques' in the subject line.
Use the same email that you used when creating your account so that they will recognize you.
These do not arrive instantly, so thanks in advance for some patience when sending this way (might be overnight).

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I sent them off via email. Thanks for your help so far.... I am looking forward to a possible answer to my inrquiries ....Linn
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 month ago.

Wonderful. I will respond once I see the pictures.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks so much!
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 month ago.

The one is a Hispano-Moreque lustre pottery charger marked Manises, which is a pottery in Manises, Spain.

The other is from Alcora, Spain (marked VC SPAIN) and is also considered Hispano-Moresque lustre pottery.

The style of pottery is influenced by 15th and 16th century Hispano-Moresque pottery (Spanish with an Islamic influence) and those are likely what you remember seeing in a museum.

The ancient pottery was never marked and your pieces have minor wear, so we can rule them out as 16th century pieces.

There was a revival of the pottery in the late 1800's and again in the 20th century by Gimeno Rios of Valencia, Spain.

Your pieces are late 19th century and have a value of $200 to $300 each.

Some sites that I recommend for selling are Varagesale.com, Ioffer.com, OfferUp.com, Ebay and letgo.com.
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.

To finish, I will need you to click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the green submit button, thanks!

Expert:  rarewares replied 1 month ago.

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.