rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I would like an approximate value of my elgin watch. it is a

Customer Question

I would like an approximate value of my elgin watch.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: it is a pocket eatch with a stem to push to open the face. To open the back you have to use your fingernail.
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: I have the serial number on the case, also on the movement. The watch face is gold inlay. Very fancy. And it runs.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 month ago.

My name isCustomerand I would love to help.
Please use the Add Files feature to add pictures of the watch, dial, inner case and the movement.
The serial number on a watch is on the movement (guts) and not on the case.

If you are not able to add photos, then I need to know if the watch is an open face or a hunter case (a gold cover over the dial)

size of the watch and the serial number written on the movement. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hunter case
Case serial #(###) ###-####Movement # 11220604
Gold inlay on face
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 month ago.

This is a 1905 Elgin size 6s hunter case pocket watch

with a 15-jewel, grade 295 movement. The value of this watch is $600 to $700

if it is a 14k gold case.
Some sites that I recommend for selling are Varagesale.com, Ioffer.com, OfferUp.com, Ebay and letgo.com.
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.

To finish, I will need you to click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the green submit button, thanks!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I would like to send you some pics of this watch, however the only way I can send them is by phone. Do you have a cell phone that I can send them to?
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 month ago.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-transfer-photo-my-phone-my-computer-hl
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

If that is too much bother, you can email pictures to***@******.*** and put 'forCustomerin antiques' in the subject line.
Use the same email that you used when creating your account so that they will recognize you.
These do not arrive instantly, so thanks in advance for some patience when sending this way (might be overnight).

Expert:  rarewares replied 1 month ago.

I was thinking you could also just describe to me what you see on the inner case.

I am looking for 14k and US ASSAY or .585 as marks there. If you see words like

14k WARRANTED 10 YEARS, then it is gold-filled and not gold. Let me know what is there

and I can confirm my above appraisal or re-assess if it is a gold-filled watch.