Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a very old (but electrified in the 1960s) oil lamp.

Customer Question

I have a very old (but electrified in the 1960s) oil lamp. The base is copper and ii has griffon-shaped lags and handles.,, The globe is roughly 10" in diameter, with different 'venus in the sea shell' paintings. it has a glass chimney. My father found it in someone's coal bin in the 1950s. Do you have any idea of value?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: there is no damage at all to the base or the globe
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Frank replied 1 month ago.

Hello and Welcome to Just Answer,

My name is***** am a Personal Property Appraiser and would be happy to assist you with your question.

From your description, you have a "Gone with the Wind" style lamp. Is this a table lamp? Or is it the kind that would hang from a ceiling? Is the globe hand painted? Any floral decoration? Is the lamp still in working order?

I look forward to hearing from you,

Frank

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it's a table lamp. the globe looks to be hand painted and not a decal. The globe is dimensional, with lalique-like (sp?) raised flowers. The lamp - not counting the chimney- is 2'; base diameter ~15" the globe is rougly 30" around ~12" diameter. It is a working, electrical, lamp. globe colors are purple and ochre