Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I am considering bidding on this sterling bowl in an

Customer Question

I am considering bidding on this sterling bowl in an upcoming auction. Can you please provide a resale value appraisal and weight if you can figure it out from the dimensions. The bowl stands 2.75" tall and is 6" across.I require this on a rush basis.Thanks.Karen
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 5 months ago.

Hi Karen,

Thanks for the photos of the bowl. I'm almost certain this bowl is a fake and marked to deceive. This sphinx mark turns up from time to time on various similar bowls, but always when it does, you'll notice the word "Sterling" is actually written "StFrling" with the E changed to an F.

There is no listing in any reference work of bone fide silver marks for this sphinx-on-a-torse device. This bowl is therefore silverplate at best and I would leave well alone.

I do hope this helps!

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance with this, I would be glad to.

Best wishes,
Robert.