Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a beautiful 14 x 18 oil painting of Pandora and Pan,

Customer Question

I have a beautiful 14 x 18 oil painting of Pandora and Pan, with a mysterious, swirling, mountainous background. The canvas is signed "Miss Hoffman 1898" in the lower right, but, on the left, are the initials JWA. I obtained a copy of the sculptor Malvina Hoffman's autobiography, and she indicated that she studied with the artist ***** ***** Alexander as a child. This does not appear to be the work of a 13 year old (which is what Hoffman would have been in 1898). The back of the canvas says "Property of Charles [illegible]". Malvina Hoffman had a brother named Charles. The painting has been blacklighted and the work all appears to be original. Any ideas?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. The next step would be for me to see pictures of the painting,
signature and any labels on the back of the completed framing.
Use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures one at a time.