Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

We are considering bidding on this silver box in an auction

Customer Question

We are considering bidding on this silver box in an auction this afternoon. I am attaching photos of the box and hallmarks. Please let me know the value of the box and whether it is sterling or plate. I haven't seen the box in person, however the photos I have of the hallmarks do not show a 925 or sterling mark near them. The box measures 9" long, 5.5" wide and 2.75" high.
Please let me know at your earliest as this auction is in a couple of hours.
Thanks.
Karen
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello

I wanted to let you know that your question has been viewed, I will send this to Robert. He will pick this up as soon as he signs on to the site. I am going to opt out so he can do that.

Thanks

Glenda

Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 month ago.

Hi Karen,

Thanks for the question about the silver cigarette box.

Here's a quick answer just in case this is still active and relevant, my apologies if not.

Stylistically, the box dates to the mid-20th century and has Canadian sterling hallmarks.

Made by Henry Birks & Sons, head office, Montreal, a highly reputed canadian maker.

Auction value in the current market £100 - £140.

I do hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Robert