rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I'm looking for information on a few Imperial furniture

Customer Question

Good morning. I'm looking for information on a few Imperial furniture living room pieces that were purchased by my husband's great-grandmother as a wedding gift to his grandparents in the 1940s. They are a light to mid-tone wood (there are no genuine mahogany stickers) with a black lacquered inlay on the tops. We have one round coffee table (stamped no. is 2224-2, handwritten no. is 493), two single-drawer end tables (handwritten nos. are 422 and 556), and one two-drawer square "commodore" (handwritten no. 532). These family heirlooms have a few signs of being well-loved over the years, including grandfather's cigarette burns around the rim of the coffee table and teething marks from our son on the lower cross-pieces. We're not looking to sell, but we would like to know more about the furniture.
JA: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: I can send pictures if they will help.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 7 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. There were no pictures that came with your question (the site has been having an issue).
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures (again, if you already have) of the item and any marks, labels or writing.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Here are the pictures. The label (by itself) is on the inside of the drawer of one of the end tables. The label with the stamp is on the underside of the coffee table.

These are 1940's tables by Imperial Furniture of Michigan with black lacquered tops.

The company opened in 1903 and was sold in 1953 (but kept the name),

and out of business by 1962.

The values of your pieces, condition noted, are as follows;

$75.00, one round coffee table no493

$40 each, two single-drawer end tables nos. are 422 and 556,

$60, and one two-drawer square "commodore" no. 532

To finish, I will need you to click the five stars at the top of your screen and hit the submit button, thanks!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Isn't that basically the information I gave you?

I gave the company history and the values in a

completed answer that includes the description of

your tables, history and value is usually the missing

information that people are looking for. Let me know

what other information would be of help to you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I would like to know more about the style and possible wood species. I've looked through a lot of photos of small tables made by this company and never seen other with the plain black lacquered tops, so I am curious as to whether this feature was unusual for the era or if I just have bad luck searching the internet.