rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a Satsuma piece that I can't seem to find information

Customer Question

I have a Satsuma piece that I can't seem to find information on and would love to know exactly what it is called the value?
It has three feet looks like glass is crackled and Satsuma marking is all blue capital letters in a blue rectangle. it stands approx 3 and 3/4 high.
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Pic 1
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Pic 2
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Pic 3
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Pic 4
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Pic 5
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Marking
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Marking 2
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Piece
Expert:  rarewares replied 3 months ago.

Sherry,

This is a 1990's reproduction piece made in China, but marked Satsuma.

It actually does not reflect Japanese Satsuma pottery at all. This egg-shaped

footed vase with blue and white with faux craquelure finish has a current value of $10.00.

To finish, I will need you to click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the green submit button, thanks!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can you show me the information on the 1990's reproduction pieces

No, this is what I know from experience. There is no website or maker to read about in this case (they did not want to be known).

They were not of course advertised as reproductions, they tried to pass them off as actual antiques. Real Satsuma was earthenware pottery with a natural crackling from age, this piece has a manufactured crackling. Real Satsuma had hand painted scenes in mostly red and black with a thin gold outline. Satsuma was never in blue and white (or glossy) and was never marked with the word satsuma in a large rectangle like this one is. The piece raises all the flags of a reproduction piece. I do hope that explains it better. If you google the word Satsuma pottery and click 'images' you will see examples of what authentic Japanese Satsuma should look like.

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.