Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I have a cup, saucer, and a dessert plate or small plate.

Customer Question

I have a cup, saucer, and a dessert plate or small plate. The only mark on the bottom of each is 2776.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 month ago.

Hi Nancy,

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your cup, saucer and plate.

Thanks for the helpful photo of them.

Could you very kindly add another photo showing the entire set upside-down so I can see the numbers and other features of the undersides which help with age and origin.

Also, one of the cup from the side so I can see the shape of the handle in profile. Each English Victorian factory (this is English china) had their own distinctively shaped handle molds.

Many thanks.

Robert.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Nothing much on the bottom!
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 month ago.

Hi Nancy,

Thanks so much for the extra photos. Seeing the undersides is helpful in that they do confirm the date. Around 1830 - 1840. This is quite an old set!

The hand painted number "2776" is the pattern number and sometimes one can trace the maker by known pattern numbers, though frustratingly not in this case as this pattern appears to be unrecorded.

This is English 'Staffordshire' china from about the time when the Potteries started to become industrialized, yet still early enough for the decoration to be entirely hand-painted. In this case, a beautiful rococo design -so popular during this English Regency period- in gray and gold and with scattered flowers in colors in the Dresden style.

The pattern is very similar to those produced at the time by both Coalport and Ridgway, but there are many other contenders for who it might be by. It could also be Samuel Alcock, Davenport, Derby, Hicks & Meigh, Minton, Miles Mason, Rathbone and Spode, all of whom produced very similar rococo patterns, and every one of them greatly influenced by Rockingham/Brameld that arguably produced the finest of all English Regency rococo china, for an all too short period during the 1830s and closing forever in 1842. In 1831 they became "Manufacturer to the King".

So much of this period of English china is unmarked or marked only on the larger pieces, so it's always hard to make an attribution and even if one were to be able to do so it would not make much difference to the value, except in some exceptional cases.

If you were to see your set for sale in an antique store, say, it would have a full retail price tag of about $175. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.

Expect to get 30% - 40% of this if you were to sell at auction or on line.

I do hope this helps!

Please let me know if you'd like me to explain or expand on any of the above, I would be glad to.

Best wishes,
Robert

Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 month ago.

Hi Nancy,

I hope all is okay. I assume you must be having computer problems since I haven’t heard from you, however, if you are able to receive this, could you very kindly take a moment to rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you.

We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do. Or, if you have another item you'd like to ask me about, just start a new Question and put "For Robert S....." in the subject line.

Thanks so much,

Robert.