Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

We are considering buying a Hale for $20,000, do you have

Customer Question

HI! We are considering buying a Hale Johnson for $20,000, do you have any comps?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: The peice is called July and August by Hale Johnson, its on the website of the greylock Gallery
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: Nope thats it! HOw much will this costs in total?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is***** you for coming to Just Answer.
.
I will be glad to help you today.
.
This is your answer, please rate this after reading it. This is important to me getting credit for my work.
.
I have been in the antique business for over 45 years, Appraising, Antique shop owner, also buying and selling on today's current market. it is my pleasure to put my experience to work for you.
.
After doing research on this for you, I found the following where Hale Johnson works have sold:

https://www.skinnerinc.com/search?s=A.+Hale+Johnson

The highest one sold for around 4000.00

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/3413209_a-hale-johnson-old-porch-oil-painting

sold for $2400.00

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/search?q=hale+johnson&by_date=2016-10-22T16:56:32.948Z&sort=relevance&dtype=gallery&hasimage=true&type=complete&rows=40

The Highest one sold for around $2000.00

...

Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained.

.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.
.

Glenda,
.
If you do not mind rating this I would greatly appreciate it.
.
Clicking the top star on the top left of the page does this
.
Thank you for taking time to rate this.
.
If you find you have a problem being able to rate me, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Brenda, Thanks, ***** ***** had seen the comparables and surprised they were so low. Someone told me its typical to have a big differential in auctions vs private gallery sales....but is it possible to get hold of non-auction prices? Alternatively, is there a ratio of auction vs non-auction prices (e.g. does 5x make any sense????) Tania

Tania

We normally see galleries that pick items up at auction for a price then they try to double or triple their money. This is a large swing in prices. This gallery may have the clientele that is willing to pay these higher prices. The problem with art is, a gallery or even an individual can charge whatever they want to charge, hopefully they find a buyer willing to pay this much..

.

It may be they are aware this particular painting is desired by several clients, they may have had callings for it, so they are trying to get as much as possible for it.

.

I did pull values on this artist's work from the paid Data Bases we use to access. It seems his work has sold in the past for an average of $ 4500.00 a painting. Taking what his work has sold for at the highest amount and the lowest amount.

I personally would make an offer that is much lower and see how they react to that. Most people purchase art for what they like. I have found if they really want something they are willing to pay for it. Galleries know this.

.

.

Glenda,
.
.
.
Thank you for taking time to rate this.
.