Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

Looking for the value of a vacationer trunk

Customer Question

Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment.

Please send me at least one photo.

To send photos you may use the "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

What is the size?

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I refurbished it already. Here are before and after pictures.

It looks very good. You did an excellent job.

May I have a picture of the inside?

What size is it?

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
unsure of the size but the inside is plain with the original green vinyl. I did not do anything to the inside.

Thank you for the information.

Your first half of the 20thC refurbished trunk would have an estimated retail value of $450-600 assuming good condition and depending on sale geographic location.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com
Bonanza.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How do you find the manufacturer of this trunk?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I would generally like more information regarding the piece.

I believe we are both confused because you have submitted two questions about the same item.

Is this the same trunk as in your other question?

Kind regards,

Doris

Trunks like yours were original used for travel on ships; hence,,,,vacation luggage.

Later, they were used for summer camps and college storage.

Again,

My research indicates it would have an estimated retail value of $450-550 assuming good condition and depending on sale geographic location.

I hope this goes through this time.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
same item, just never got an answer. Who is the manufacturer and how do i view the assessment? It doesn't show anywhere.

Unless it has a label, we cannot know the manufacturer.

Trunks like yours were original used for travel on ships and carriages; hence,,,,vacation luggage.

Now, they are used for summer camps and college storage.

Again,

HERE IS THE ASSESSMENT AGAIN: THIS IS YOUR ANSWER.

Thank you for the information.

Artfire.com
Bonanza.com

GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com

I hope I have helped you.

Kind regards.

Doris