rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

Goo Afternoon, Is there any way I can ID my clock as ormolu?

Customer Question

JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: I have a photo that I could upload.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: the clock face has "Victor Alex Rehm a Mayence on it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 month ago.

My name isCustomerand I would love to help.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the clock,
dial and any markings on the back or on the movement.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've added a photo of the clock as well as another clock but I can't make out the name on the face.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm confused. I authorized the initial $5 and no I see an email showing a $33 charge plus a request for $75 on the actual website.
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 month ago.

I can only answer the clock requested in your original inquiry.

The clock is a French Louis XVI ormolu mantel clock, the elaborate case decorated with neoclassical figures and a leaf and berry motif, enameled Roman dial signed Victor Alex. Rehm à Mayence, these clocks having a silk suspension movement (should have a date on the movement, but some don't). Mayence was the French city that is now part of Germany and renamed Mainz. The clock dates to circa 1800-1814 and has a value of $6000 to $8000.00.

Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who do not handle charges,
fees, credit cards, memberships or subscriptions in any way or form.

To finish, I will need you to click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the green submit button, thanks!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Very cool! I've always wanted a "death clock". How can you tell that it's ormolu? I've got tons of stuff to analyze so I'll be contacting again. I understand on the other clock and pricing.
Have a great weekend!
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 month ago.

Ormolu is just a term for gold toned metal trim (usually gilt brass) on a clock or porcelain.

Before you leave and so I can help you again, please click the stars and hit submit.

Good feedback is important here for the expert (you are rating my service and not the site).

Have a great night!

Expert:  rarewares replied 1 month ago.

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.