Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Inherited sterling silver salver, and Sheffield (1845?)

Customer Question

Inherited sterling silver salver, Martin and Hall Sheffield (1845?) Value?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: Old Western District family in Victoria (Australia). Salver looks Ceorgian but hallmarks suggest mid-nineteenth-century
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: Hs a small dint, and has responded reasonably well to Silvo applied by me. But probably needs professional cleaning.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment.

Please send me a photo of the marks.

Also, please send a photo of the whole salver.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry Doris: not able to send any photos and therefore unable to proceed. Have checked the hallmarks with an encyclopedia and the shape with typical Georgian salvers

Electroplated silver was patented by Elkington in 1841 or 1842. Many Georgian styles have been copied over the years as well.

I am an English silver specialist. I have been a collector, a dealer and appraiser of English silver for 57 years.

The correct interpretation of the marks is essential.

I am sorry you cannot get pictures to me.

Kind regards,

Doris