ExpertAppraiser
ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser
Experience:  USPAP appraiser: art, antiques, coins and collectibles.
59032044

I have a Hinners organ, which is missing only one ivory key

Customer Question

I have a Hinners reed organ, which is missing only one ivory key overlay; otherwise, it works just fine. It's a chapel organ, so the back is carved to match the front, and it is small, without the high Victorian stuff that goes against the wall. It's a dark oak finish, with the original finish. What do I do with it?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable.
Customer: Unfortunately, I live at the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri, so there aren't appraisers floating around the area. I guess a better question would be, how would I find an appraiser? I suppose I could contact the Organ Historical Society?
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: Don't think so -- I grew up with this in the house, and my father was given the organ by a deconsecrated church near our home because he had helped some of the members of the former church.
JA: No, you can ask a one off question to try things out.
Customer: Okay -- thanks for your help. Let me think about it a bit more.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  ExpertAppraiser replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for the question! The good news is that you have a gorgeous organ, but the bad news is that the market for late 19th/early 20th century organs is very small. At auction, other Hinners reed pump organs can sell for less than $100 (see: https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/2395614_hinners-victorian-oak-pump-organ). I would try listing it through church message boards and through peer-to-peer venues like Craigslist for $250 to 450, or so. You may be able to donate it to a church for a tax deduction as well. Here is one that has been offered on eBay for some time at the $475 level, see also: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Oak-Hinners-Organ-Co-/301458728934?hash=item46305727e6:g:1GcAAOSw6aVUndkf - but unfortunately, the value for these is largely decorative as most organists want a newer model with "all the stops" (so to speak).

Following-up since you reviewed your answer yet elected to not take further action! Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars and bonus gives me the best rating.

This will close out the question and allow me to assist others, as I assisted you.

Thanks for viewing the answer I prepared; following-up one final time to see if you need anything further since you did not rate the answer. If you found this helpful, please use the rating system in the upper corner of the question to rate my professionalism as it's the sold way experts get credit for assisting people and it can close the question so I can help others as I helped you.