rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a complete set of sango bone china dormant tree

Customer Question

I have a complete set of sango bone china dormant tree pattern, circa 1950. It was never used. I wanted to know if it has any value
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: Its marked sango japan on the back. its fine bone china with gold leaf rim on the plates. it was a wedding gift to my parents but was never used as my mother hated it.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: the set is pristine and has been boxed all these years there aren't any nicks chips etc. I think its a complete service for 8 with all the serving pieces
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 month ago.

My name isCustomerand I would love to help. There were no pictures that came with your question (the site has been having an issue).
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures (again, if you already have) of the item and any marks, labels or writing.

Expert:  rarewares replied 1 month ago.

I will answer without photos for you since I do know this pattern.

The Dormant Trees pattern was made by Sango China of Japan, if the mark reads

MADE IN OCCUPIED JAPAN, it was made from 1945 -1952. If it only reads Made in Japan or Japan, then it was made 1952 to 1958.

There is no difference in value for the two marks, but those words help date the set.

A service for 8 plus some serving pieces has a current value of $200 retail.

Some sites that I recommend for selling are Varagesale.com, Ioffer.com, OfferUp.com, Ebay and letgo.com.
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.

To finish, I will need you to click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the green submit button, thanks!