LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher
52235960

I have a antique vase that was my grandmothers mothers

Customer Question

Hello i have a antique vase that was my grandmothers mothers before being handed down to me it is the ugliest thing ive ever seen .its a blue green opalique with the top if the vase being like a flower ( i guess) with waves around the bottom it has a pontil and is very heavy it has a signiture but i cant read it id love to send you a picture of it so maybe you can tell me the orgin or artist im pretty sure it dates back to the 18th centry or earlier my research is at a standstill. all i can even try n compare is the fenton glass from this time period but i havent found anything close to its style or signature
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. There was only the photo of the piece that came with your original inquiry.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the signature on the bottom.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Heres the photos you requested..GOOD LUCK, and thankyou for your time, Donna
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 month ago.

This is a hand blown art glass vase done in 1991 by an unknown artist (the date of '91 is under the signature)

I can tell by the crudeness of the construction that this was done by a student or

a hobby glassblower and not a professional artist. The signature (Neruda or some variation, I tried many variations) is also not one

that matches any of the known artists of the period. This piece has a current value of $30 to $40 retail.

The vase was likely made by a regional artist or student artist that lived in the region where

your grandmother lived.

Some sites that I recommend for selling are Varagesale.com, Ioffer.com, OfferUp.com, Ebay and letgo.com.
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.

To finish, I will need you to click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the green submit button, thanks!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You cant be right...im a 51 year old woman and this piece used to be on my grandmothers shelf in her home while i was a child .my grandmother always told my mom ,my sister, and myself that when she passed to look on the bottom of each piece of antique glass for the sticker she had attached with a number to get tge value before selling any..but this vase she always said was something to keep in the family and hand down as a hierloom and it had already been in the family over 50+ years and she passed in 1986 ..it then went to my mom and when she passed to me.so the number is ***** a date as you say
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also the scratch like marks on the bottom were only from a certain time period as per my research from the way it was blown .like i said fenton was the using this kind of glass during this time period and the weight is another factor.
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 month ago.

I am unable to find a match for this item. I will opt-out and allow another expert to answer.
They will see our conversation and your photos. I am not able to respond once I opt-out. Good luck!

Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you. This is a unique vase. What I would like to know is the measurements to this vase the height of the overall vase and width of the base and of the top. I believe this is a flower vase however I do need the measurements to determine the value.

I am researching the age and company it possibly came from now. Thank you I look forward to helping you on this piece.

Here is a link to early glass and you having some providence to the age and and such, I was able to find the following companies:

http://www.knottywood-treasures.com/id31.html

the link above is where I found the information below. I don't believe it is older then Fenton would have produced these pieces.

Early American makers, such as Hobbs, Brokunier and Company (1863 1888), Buckeye Glass (1878 1896), LaBelle Glass (1872 1888), American Glass (1889 1891), Nickel Plate Glass (1888 1893), and of course, the Northwood Glass Company in its various locations (1888 1924) were the primary producers, especially in the early blown opalescent glass production. There were many others also, including: Dugan (1904 1913), Dugan-Diamond (1914 1931), and Jefferson Glass Company (1900 1933), they all added their talents in all sorts of opalescent items in both blown and pressed glass. The major production covered 40 years (1880 1920); however beginning shortly after the turn of the century the Fenton Glass Company of Williamstown, West Virginia, joined the ranks of opalescent manufacturers and has continued production off and on until the present time. Their production from 1907 to 1940 is an important part of the opalescent field. The Fenton factory, along with Dugan and Jefferson glass, produced quality opalescent glass items long after the rest of the companies had ceased operations, primarily in pressed items in patterns they had used for other types of glassware.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The width of the top at its widest point is 3 1/2" and the height is 7" and the width of the bottom is 6"
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the number on the bottom ISN'T 91 As per first expert suggested as a date. it IS 191

Thank you for the information I was ignoring the engraved number and name right now as I am interested in the vase itself first. The name and number look to have been etched and that can be misleading. Once I determine the vase and age I will go back and determine the name and number later on the piece. This can be a catalog number also from a private collection for insurance purposes , any number of reasons why that is on the vase. I appreciate your help and will post back when my review is completed. this can take time however I will post back by this evening for you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello i was wondering the status on your research for my vase.have you found out anything yet?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello i still havent heard anything from anyone concerning my vase if noones gonna help me i want a refund
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Still waiting for someone to answer my question about my vase or at least communicate with me letting me know a expert is working on it . it says you have three days to ask for refund if not satisfied.