Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.

S. I hope it's as beautiful of a day there as it is here. I

Good afternoon Robert S. I hope it's as beautiful of a day there as it is here. I had P T today and came home to a full body massage. Now my friend just called for cocktails. Guess I will go to pub for a bit. Anyway here ya go: the green on the bottom says hand painted then under u can almost see flakes of green paint which probably said Nippon. Bought at auction $90. My first Nippon piece.

Hi Cindy,

Hopefully I can catch you before the cocktails kick in! (Lucky you! And why should "Happy" be limited to just one hour?) of so, could you go ahead and attach the photos again. As usual, they seem to have fallen off the edge of cyberspace.

Many thanks!

PS. Also, how tall is the vase?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
It's a pitcher and I have no idea. Btw, I took me with my iPad and all I have is my phone. But hey it's 5:00.

Cheers! Who cares, eh?

Enjoy the Happy Hour! Wish I were there too!

Have a great evening!

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Oh well we shall start u a tab. What's your visa #? At one time I knew someone who could suck the #'S off that card and travel the world before you knew the card was missing. She's in prison now! lol meet my friend Cheryl.

Hi Cheryl! Nice to meet you. You two look like you're having fun! Party down!

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hi there Robert. I saw my friend Dee today. I have more treasures. Like I need more. There is a plate she has made out of glass, amber in color. It has grant in the middle with his date of life and death. Plus a statement regarding trust. The rim of this plate are leaves. The price tag u asked, 450.00 what do u think, does this plate sound familiar? If I can get a pic I will. The back of the plate is all grooved out for his head and the statements. It's cool but I was just wondering if you knew this plate?

Hi Cindy,

I think I know the Grant plate you are referring to.

It's probably this one:

with "Let Us Have Peace" U.S.Grant around a lappet-leaf border, made by Gillander & Sons in 1885 in the "maple leaf" pattern.

If so, then the full retail value is nowhere near $450. Yes, it's a fairly hard-to-find piece of EAPG (Early American Pattern Glass) and extremely old, nevertheless not as valuable as that in today's market.

It used to be valuable until eBay came along. Before eBay, dealers could say it was rare because there was no way of checking just how many were out there. Then it started turning up on line for sale in much greater numbers than expected and prices plummeted.

I think $125 would be a top price for this one, retail, that's if all those delicate leaf tips are intact. Check for chips as these usually have small damages that will detract.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
That's it!!! Your so smart. I thought that plate was cool as hell! The $450. Price has been on this plate for over 30 yrs. she unpacked it the other day so I could see it. Hard to break her 82 yr old heart and offer $50 bucks. Lol You do it!!! I'll back ya.
Did u get the Nippon pics? I had beeer that day. I picked up a new jug for 50. And she went down to 150. For a hand woven, (museum quality)she shows it in an old antique book. I bought the same book on eBay last night. She had a pile of things that had stickers on them which read " Cindy only prices on some beautiful stuff. She spoke about her death quite a bit. She said don't let these things die. I felt bad for her. She very, very lonely and very sad. Very frightened lady regarding the outcome of her life's work. Yesterday she took me upstairs and asked me what duck decoy do I like the best. These things are huge, signed and with full paint. The swan is stunning. For her to take me to her living space and ask that makes me wonder if the lord put me in this place for her.

She sounds like she's in a bad way hanging on to her treasures for emotional comfort. Sometimes these things become a substitute for 'family', but then what do I know? I'll probably end up like that myself. Poor old thing, you are doing her good just rummaging through her stuff and admiring it all and visiting with her.

As far as the Grant plate is concerned, unless she can convince you that Ulysses Grant himself personally put that $450 sticker on there, it's not worth that price or anything close. No wonder it's been on there for thirty years! Sometimes antique store owners like their items more than all the customers that have ever come into their store, and price them accordingly and that's fair enough, but they have to understand and accept they get to keep those items forever.

Offer her $50 for it, and ask her how long she'd allow you to keep it on your mantelpiece for that price. Tell her you'll keep the $450 sticker on it so she doesn't lose face.

You are doing a noble job, keep visiting, the decoys sound amazing!

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Lol. She still has a half basement from floor to at least five totes high that she has not opened or unwrapped for 30 yrs., her husband has severe altzheimers, he's in a home by her house. She said after living in a home they built and she designed the inside to hold all her treasures for 62 yrs, it's hard to call this place home. I think that's why she's giving stuff away. Monday is my birthday and she gave me an old tea pot with black flowers and sterling silver rims and handles. It's painted on, but she gave me the entire the set. I told her thank you but I don't want to take her stuff. That's when she said dont let this stuff die. Her kids have taken what they want. You need to come up here and shop in her basement. While u shop I will start u a tab down the road.

It all sounds just amazing. A lifetime's chance to go through a lifetime's collection.

Even that silver overlay teaset sounds like a treasure. I'm so glad she's found someone to appreciate it all.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
My last statement for this piece. Did u get the photos? What ya think? I can see Nippon written all over this and several more to come. Again I'm in no rush, I'm just making sure I have provided you with all u needto
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
You need to finish that piece. Thank u very much and Monday afternoon more to come.

Hi Cindy,

Still waiting for the photos of the Nippon. You may have attached them way back at the beginning, but I forgot to let you know they didn't appear this end. Again! It looks like the site has now fixed the photo-attaching glitch, so hopefully this will be the last time you'll need to do this twice. Again, apologies for that.

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Let's try this.

Happy Monday Cindy!

Thanks for the photos, they came through just fine this time, hopefully the site has sorted out the photo-attaching glitch for good.

This is a very pretty piece of Nippon art porcelain. I'll take your word for it that the bottom says "Hand Painted" and "Nippon". I can't see anything except a smudge, but then it is Monday morning. However, not to worry, the top screams authenticity and Nippon artistry at its very best. The shape in particular, with its superbly free-form rim and handle, is quintessential Art Nouveau.

Then there's the delicate lace-like flowers carefully rendered in moriage raised enamel on a backdrop of roses, softly out of focus, that makes the flowers on top seem to float in 3D. An unimaginable level of skill and dexterity with a piping bag and the steadiest of hands was needed to create that moriage, a skill that you would not find today for any money.

At the time this type of art porcelain was made, which was a short period from about 1900 - 1915, no-one in the West had seen decoration quite like this, and it was all hand done -no printing of cheap color decals as was being done in Europe- and so Nippon porcelain became an instance and enduring success.

Prices today are a little depressed from where they were when eBay first started because, again, nobody realized the sheer quantity of Nippon that was out there until it started appearing on eBay. Added to which, a tide of eBay buying has now turned into a tide of eBay selling, so it's a buyer's market when it comes to Nippon with some amazing bargains to be had.

Having said that, there's still a good market for the nice examples and yours is a very nice example. This one, for instance, sold on line (eBay) for $300 which is about right.

I would give yours an auction/eBay value in the range of $250 - $375.

Full retail/replacement/insurance value: $750.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 5 hours ago.
Happy Monday to u too! I think that pitcher is stunning. How does one do that with a piping bag. Obviously they are not heavy drinkers. Holding that steady for such beauty is impossible. Today is my birthday, and it was a beautiful day with the trees changing into the fall colors. Robert have you ever seen such beauty? The colors of fall, and the sun beaming through those leaves? make that piece worth looking at, it's like layer of sunshine. I have more Nippon. Not as pretty but I love the application of over the top of the art. I loved the handle as soon as I saw it. It's cool. I hope u had a good Monday. I wish for you today, peace, warmth of a fire, your wife in the space next to you enjoying a warm cognac on me. I have three other Nippon pieces. It wasn't the piece as much as the applied part of them. So with that being said I'm glad u got the pics. I'd send u a pic of me to appraise but not up for the aging part of appraisals. Hehe. I'm not doing bad here, let's see I must be up still huh. Thank you for liking my piece. Your description of this piece told me you see the fine beauty. Yay.

Happy Birthday to you!

Hope you had a wonderful day being celebrated and celebrating yourself. Another trip round the sun completed, well done!

Just wanted to wish you all the best for the day while it's still the day (we're on Eastern time)

Very best wishes,

Customer: replied 3 hours ago.
Have u tried this? It was a gift from Cheryl. I make my own and she bought me this last month while in Tennessee. I haven't opened it, (I don't like liquor) unless it's covered up by Bloody Mary mix.