Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

I am trying to find out if this canvas that I purchased is

Customer Question

I am trying to find out if this canvas that I purchased is an original and what its value is it is an Haywood Hardy English 1843 it's called going to cover by 190 it is on canvas and it is signed buy Haywood Hardy in the bottom left corner
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: No not yet
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 6 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please send a photo of the signature.

Please send also a photo of the painting.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the signature.

To send photos you may use the "reply to expert" or "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

Is the piece under glass?

If not, s the surface slightly uneven and rough so that you feel brush strokes?

What is the size, not including the frame? Please do not remove from the frame.

What is the medium - oils, watercolors, etc.?

Is it on canvas or paper or board?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No it is not in a frame yes I can feel brush Strokes looks more like oil but I'm not quite sure the size is 32 by 22
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
It is on canvas as well

Yes. I noted you had said this painting is on canvas after I asked that question.

I am not sure I can see the signature in your photo.

I will try to photoshop it now to see if I can get a better contrast.

I need to compare the signature to the artist's other signatures.

Thank you for the information and photos. They really help.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I want you to have the best answer.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

One more question - In my research, I found two main but different signatures

See the following images. Does one of them look like yours?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
They both look like it I didn't think it had been signed because it is so faint it's Blended in with the painting really well you have to look for it so it's hard to tell for sure I will see if I can get a better picture for you

See the following image.

Is this your painting?

Yours seems so faint by comparison?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
that is mine anywhere else it is not bright and clear like that that looks like some form of reproduction or something this one's got lots of lines through it and it's not super clear
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
On the back of the frame as well on the bottom of the picture underneath
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I meant to say the picture that you sent me looks like a reproduction this one does not yet that doesn't mean that it isn't

The one I sent is entitled Out for Hunt. It sold in 2007 for $495 at Charlton Hall Galleries auction in 2007. It was sold as an original.

What is on the back of yours that starts "Collection."

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Here are some more pics

I cannot read the "Collection..."???

What does it say?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Collection: states or stairs? Murdock, new York city

All the Heywood Hardy paintings I saw in my research were bright colored like the one I sent you.

I think yours is a preliminary study for the one I found.

Heywood Hardy (1843-1933)

Biography from Odon Wagner Gallery

"Heywood Hardy was a painter and etcher of animals, portraits, genre and sporting subjects. He was born in Chichester, on 25th November 1843, son of the artist James Hardy, Sr (1801-79) and younger brother of James Hardy Jr (1832-89).

Hardy left home at the age of 17, and attempted to earn a living by painting animal pictures. He did this successfully, and, after a short time with the 7th Somerset Volunteers, he borrowed some money from his brother and traveled to Paris. In 1864 he entered the Ecole des Beaux Arts to study under the battle artist, Pielse.

He returned to England in 1868 and found he was in great demand. He was often invited to country estates to paint portraits, sporting pictures and animal studies. Hardy continued to enjoy commissions for portraits, animal studies and hunting scenes, but he decided to concentrate on painting genre subjects. In addition, he provided illustrations for magazines such as the Illustrated London News, and The Graphic, as well as producing etchings of his work.

In 1870 Hardy and his family moved to St John's Wood, London - an area then popular with artists. During this period his career flourished and he was elected a member of a number of societies including The Royal Society of Painters and Etchers, The Royal Institute of Oil Painters and The Royal Society of Portrait Painters.

In 1909 Hardy moved to West Sussex and at the age of 83, he painted the first in a series of eight panels depicting Biblical scenes for the chancel of Clymping Church, to mark its 700th anniversary in 1925. At the time, these panels caused considerable controversy as they depicted Christ walking on the Sussex Downs and local farmland, amidst modern figures, said to be residents from nearby villages.

Exhibited: Royal Society of British Artists, Suffolk Street (1863 to 1871)
Royal Academy (46 paintings between 1864 and 1919)
The British Institute
The Old Watercolour Society."

When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at completed sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.

Using this widely accepted method of assessment, I was able to determine an estimated auction value of $250-400 assuming it is a faint colored original study and depending on sale geographic location.

As for retail value, I have seen art sell for 4 to 5 times auction values depending on the tastes of the art gallery owner as well as location of the gallery.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

If you wish to sell, these are my suggestions -

The internet has your widest pool of buyers. To sell close to estimated retail try the following -

Try ads on sites such as

Some like where you can set up your store for free and the selling fees are small - 20 cents to list an item plus 3.5% of the final price.

Or list with no fees whatsoever:

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you you've been a great help I don't plan on selling it I just purchased it from a lady who had got it from an estate auction for over $800 but it was old and didn't want to deal with it anymore she basically just gave it to me because she was a friend of mine I would like to have known the value that's why I contacted you just for my own peace of mind however I love the piece whether it's a replica or not I think it's beautiful and fits my home thank you for all of your time & work

You are welcome.

I am only credited by JA for my work on this question if you rate my answer positively, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 5 days ago.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,