Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Howdy. We recently purchased an item that we're unsure if

Howdy. We recently purchased an item that we're unsure if it's silver or silverplate. It's a footed wire basket kind of thing that has a Limoges pottery planter insert. We're also unsure if the planter and the silver basket actually go together.
We were interested in finding out any information you might have on the hallmarks on this item. There are four of them, as follows:
The numbers 00186 (maybe a style number?)
5 individual letters, each inside a shield M B C E P
3 pictorial hallmarks: star inside a quarter moon, scales, thistle surrounded by 2 leaves
3 pictorial hallmarks; crown with 2 triangles inside it, fleur de lis, star
Thanks in advance for any information you may be able to provide.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please send me a photo of the marks.

The configuration of these marks is important. I have over 56 years experience with antique silver.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "reply to expert" or "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Please see attached photos. The hallmarks are on the bottom and there is one at each point of the compass.

These are the various plated silver marks of the Meriden Britannia Co of Meriden, CT, founded in 1852. It joined with the International Silver Co in 1898 but the marks continued in use for at least 20 years after that.

Your late 19thC - early 20thC wire basket and its unusual liner would have an estimated retail value of $!10-135.00 assuming good condition and depending on sale geographic location.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only. - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.

Or your nearest where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Thank you so much for the positive rating. If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” as the first three words of the question. Most professionals on the site will honor that request.

Thank you again.