LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher
52235960

I have a Palace Lantern (made of porcelain) It was supposed

Customer Question

Hello! I have a Palace Lantern (made of porcelain) It was supposed to be Qing Dynasty. years ago it was smashed (all the pieces were saved). I have heard that if a piece is very rare it can be worth fixing. I have had a rate of $3500.00 for restoration services.It was a beautiful piece. So my question is, is it worth having it restored?-----Thank you-----Paul
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

It's possible that this could be Qing dynasty, but if so it's definitely towards the later end (1912).

Can you please describe what this looked like before the damage?

And is this porcelain? Hanging palace lanterns might be enamel over copper, or another light material, but not porcelain--perhaps this was something else entirely. I'm trying to get an idea of the overall look.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have attached the only photo I can find.6 sided pierced porcelain, fittings seem to be bronze. tI stood approximately 14 inches. It was famille rose .

I'm quite familiar with Chinese porcelain standing lamps/lanterns, and standing lantern covers, but I've never seen a porcelain hanging lantern. I've checked any number of databases, and I'm coming up with nothing. I'm going to opt out and let another appraiser try.

Jennifer

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Any luck finding a replacement appraiser?-----Paul
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is Tanya I am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you. I would need to see the pieces you have of the overall broken lantern and clear close ups of the medallions if possible so I may tell you the type of lantern you have and the age with certainty. From there I can tell you the value of the piece. Do you have a pair of these or just the one? They were in sets when produced. (2-6-9- or 12) If you have more then one and the restoration is 3500.00 for all yes it is well worth restoring them. If you have one only I need to review the pieces to determine if you have an exceptional lantern to restore for that pricing. Thank you I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here are a few pics (6). Thank you!------Paul
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is only one that I am aware of.

Hi Thank you for the photos and measurements. This is a beautiful lantern done 1890-1910 and has a value of $2400.00 if it had not been broken. Being broken, as is the value is 350.00 and someone would buy the pieces to re-purpose and sell as pendents, framed in 3D boxes etc to showcase the porcelain medallions, the lattice porcelain, The bronze work would sell for $45.00 each. To pay and have it restored would be wonderful also but it would be more for you to keep and enjoy then to resell as you would not be able to get your investment back. If you took the ideas above you would be able to get some value back from selling as is or making the framed art and jewelry yourself.

If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer it is just how I am paid from the site. Thank you :

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars:

1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5 stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all questions.