rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I know very little about these chairs and I'm looking to

I know very little about these chairs and I'm looking to learn a little bit more about them, and I haven't had much luck at all finiding a chair that looks exactly like the ones I have. The rush seats are in excellent condition as are the chair backs, but the some of the legs are a little wobbly and would probably need to be reinforced. The chairs do have a number marking on them but that is about all I know about them. Can you please help me out with identifying the chairs, the time period they came from and how much they may be worth. I have 5 regular chairs and one arm chair.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here are some additional pictures. I have others if needed.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. Thank you for these pictures.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the construction

of one of the chairs. These are Windsor chairs with spindle and splat backs and rush seats,

but these were made in the 1780's all the way up to 1925. The construction will help me a bit with the dating

of the chairs and therefore the value as well.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not sure exactly what you mean when you say construction of the chairs but hopefully these pictures will help.

Thank you so much for the extra photos. These chairs are American 20th century (circa 1920-40, yes, they even still make these today)

Windsor brace-back, slat and spindle chairs with rush seats. The numbers on the bottom indicate that they were made in a factory as these are

numbers for each part. The little bump in the back is the 'brace-back', a varied form of the Windsor chair that helped add stability. The set of chairs you have are valued at $100 each for the dining chair and $200 each for the arm chairs. I am going to add photos of 1780 Windsors (all I could find was a rocker, but same idea) so you can look at the arms and see that period chairs wither had 'knuckle' ends or had very thin planks of wood. Then look again at your chairs. You have very crisp-edged, thick planks of wood used and a serpentine arm. Also, the construction looks to be with screws and glue where older ones were pegs and tiny nail heads. The easiest tell is the condition of the rush, which looks original and the paint, which also looks original. If the chairs were any older than 1920, there would be more wear in common areas like this.

Here is a great article on the history of the Windsor;

http://www.designsponge.com/2010/09/past-present-windsor-chair-history-resources.html

If you are wanting to sell your chairs, Some sites that I recommend are Varagesale.com, Chairish.com, Ioffer.com, Furnishly.com, Deconet.com, Lushpad, Krrb.com, and letgo.com.
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.
To finish, I will need you to click the five stars at the top of your screen and hit the submit button, thanks!

photos.

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know. If not, please do click the stars for me as good feedback is important here.