Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry

If a large antique captains brass lantern has been changed

Customer Question

If a large antique captains brass lantern has been changed from a wick to electrical illumination, does it diminish the value?
JA: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: All I know is that they were once used with wick and oil but were made into electrical lamps
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: Don't think so
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 9 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

No the value is not diminished.

If you wish the value, then -

Please send me at least one photo.

To send photos you may use the "reply to expert" or "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you for the info but I am "technology challenged" and can't send a picture. I appreciate you help though
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No thank you

I do not accept requests for phone calls. I give my best answers in thoughtful writing.

Besides, you will have an assessment to print out. I did not send you the pop-up.

Unfortunately, I cannot find an accurate answer for your question. I will release your question so that all the other professionals can choose to answer you with accuracy.
I want you to have the best answer possible. Releasing your question is called "opting-out." I will not be able to respond to you once I opt-out.
I am very sorry.

Kind regards,

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 6 days ago.

Hi my name is***** you for coming to Just Answer.
I will be glad to help you today.

I have been in the antique business for over 45 years, Appraising, Antique shop owner, also buying and selling on today's current market. it is my pleasure to put my experience to work for you.

I am familiar with these lanterns, if you can describe yours to me I can value this for you. I need to know what size it is also?