Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Curious to know if a particular floral still life can be

Customer Question

Curious to know if a particular floral still life can be attributed to a particular artist, or at least time period
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: I have a picture of it...a very small floral still life, approx. 2 1/4" x 3 1/4", which appears to have been painted on the actual frame
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: There is also a partial tag on the back which reads: Sothebys - Floral, with a bar code but no price. The back is clearly at least an early 1900s cloth.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. The next step would be for me to see pictures of the painting,
signature and any labels on the back of the completed framing.
Use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures one at a time.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Rarewares,Pretty unusual name for such an attractive woman. ;-)So, we just acquired this piece and, while we have no illusions that we've discovered a long lost, world-famous artist's floral still life, we are curious to know just what it is we did buy. For now, we only have one other piece of information to share with you along with the attached photos (sorry for the quality of the pictures, we did not take them). That other piece of information is that there's a mate to this piece which was sold just before we purchased this one. Different floral arrangement, same painting size, frame, cloth back and "Sothebys-Floral" sticker on it. If you would like pictures of that second piece as part of your evaluation, just let us know and we will obtain them from the seller.Well, two pieces of information. Regrettably, there is no discernable signature on the front of the painting, even with most of the gesso that bordered it missing (at least not that we could see in these photos). The piece in in the mail to us now, so if you deem it necessary we can remove all or a portion of the cloth back to see if there is any signature or other marks on the reverse. For obvious reasons, we'd prefer not to do so if we don't have to, so we will leave the decision on that up to you and what you can or can't tell us about it based on what can be seen currently.Thank you very much for your kind assistance, there is no rush, take whatever time you deem you need.Respectfully yours,Carolina
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
P.S.--We prefer email communication. It pretty well helps to insure I don't forget anything, which I am in fact prone to.Thx!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Unexpectedly, the seller just sent us these photos of the second painting. See attached.
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 month ago.

I am unable to find a match for this artist. I will opt-out and allow another expert to answer.
They will see our conversation and your photos. I am not able to respond once I opt-out. Good luck!