AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.
30223878

Found old looks like the year 1814 engraved on it asian

Customer Question

Found old bell looks like the year 1814 engraved on it asian looking. Looks hand pounded? Maybe tarnished copper? Washed up on beach in mexico.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 month ago.

Does this say Mejico on the other side, height 5"?

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was found about 45 years ago on a beach in Puerto Vallarta.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
5.25 inch
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Husband said he was 7 or 8 at the time. He took it home to clean it! �� Does not remember with what kind of cleaner!��
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He grew up there.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
One more pic of the 14. That I believe to be the year.
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 month ago.

Based on the images and the markings, this bell is from the 19th Century (1814) commemorating 1814-1816 ;however, this is souvenir Mission Bell and could be later. This is like a type used in Mexico and American states once under Spanish control, such as California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas, as well as parts of Wyoming, Colorado, Oklahoma and Kansas. The originals were much largrr and were made in fairly large numbers for Catholic Missions, which were built in virtually every Spanish Colonial settlement. This would sell for $100-200 at auction.

Thank you,

Please click on the Stars*****When you read this answer

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Commemorative of what?
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 month ago.

I think it relates to the mission Santa Clara,; however, all of these have 1814 on them, some have Mejico, some have Gabriel, some are like yours, Hererbis a link https://books.google.com/books?id=DGCDyxM268sC&pg=PA35&lpg=PA35&dq=1814+mission+bell+meaning&source=bl&ots=Te93XSWW0h&sig=wTjnWzB8Sd6e4l0uXYs3x2vSybM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwilicGc4ODPAhVDax4KHf1pBB0Q6AEIJTAE#v=onepage&q&f=false

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Why 1814? What were they commemorating?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
why Santa Clara? Looking at map it was so far from Puerta Vallarta?
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 month ago.

I'm sorry, but I can't speculate how something got somewhere. I can only give you a value and identify an object.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You said Santa Clara, so I would like to know what made you come up with that conclusion?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

This is a Mexican cast bronze mission bell. These were popular souvenirs of Mexico, in the middle of the 20th century (around 1950). Makers would bury the bells in the dirt--or sand--to artificially age them.

In 1814, Mexico passed the Constitution of Apatzigan. This was the first constitution drafted in Mexico, declaring itself an independent state. It also declared the Catholic religion to be the religion of Mexico.

The value would be approximately $100 - $150.

Please let me know if I can help further.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There was no made in Mexico on this bell or mejico on this this bell. The rim you can tell is hammered not from a cast . I viewed several on eBay and none of them look like this one .
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
this is definitely 19th century.

OK, I've seen quite a few and they are similar. This is definitely 20th century. But I understand your concern so I'll opt out.