LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher
52235960

What info do you have? I have pics and an article about the

Customer Question

What info do you have?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: I have pics and an article about the piece. How do I send it?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: Pls answer my question.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. There were no pictures that came with your question.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the item and any marks, labels or writing.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I could not find anyplace to send you the several pics and an article written.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
will try again
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Need to change fees charged to another credit card. The card you have has been canceled because of fraud.
Expert:  rarewares replied 2 months ago.

I am unable to find a match for this item. I will opt-out and allow another expert to answer.
They will see our conversation and your photos. I am not able to respond once I opt-out. Good luck!

Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you. These were great chests and today are rare to find the true chest. After enlarging your photos and going over detail it appears you have an original chest and not a reproduction. The age I would say is 1850-1860 period. Once you open the top, inspect around the till box inside if present. Most of these had a secret drawer that held a prayer or small special treasure from the owner- usually something sacred or valuable. If there is a prayer it is written in Arabic from all I have seen. It was blessings of safe travel or happy fortune in the future. The values on these chests have been 4200-5800.00 depending on how you sell it and where you sell. Online would bring a wider audience worldwide and locally you would want a high end antique store to handle the consignment on the piece. If you are looking to insure the chest the insurance value would be 6000.00 in today's market.

If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer it is just how I am paid from the site. Thank you :

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars:

1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5 stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all questions.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
These sell in the market for minimum of $17,000.

Thank you for the reply, You are correct in a good economy the prices did command the low value 17,000.00 and high values upwards 25,000.00 for these chests. I am a certified appraiser and going through records the prices have dropped considerably over time. The chest you have would bring a value of 22,000.00 and have an insurance value of 28,000.00 in a good economy. The values I was able to research showed these chests have currently valued 4200-5800.00 at auction. I, by ethics, have to be able to substantiate the values I provide. I would never be able to tell you to expect 17,0000 or more when I know the most current values are between###-##-####00 It is unethical for me to give you some off the wall number. I have to be able to provide concrete facts and values. Having gone through the research I would suggest to hold on to the chest until the economy comes back upward. The chest you have is one of the better chests I have seen and it is sad to see the values down so low.

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/tables/coffee-tables-cocktail-tables/zanzibar-arab-trunk-chest-brass-studded-coffee-cocktail-table-wood-africa/id-f_3958163/

Christies Auction House had the following auctions of Arab Chests sold

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/furniture-lighting/a-surat-brass-mounted-teak-arab-chest-probably-5165826-details.aspx?from=searchresults&intObjectID=5165826&sid=74240ebb-ec65-4801-949a-707a8d15f1b5

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/furniture-lighting/a-shiraz-brass-mounted-teak-arab-chest-probably-5165822-details.aspx?from=searchresults&intObjectID=5165822&sid=74240ebb-ec65-4801-949a-707a8d15f1b5

If I can help you further please let me know.