Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

We bought this sideboard in the late 80's for over $2100. It

Customer Question

We bought this sideboard in the late 80's for over $2100. It no longer fits in our house and have tried to sell it so many times. Maybe I am not describing it correctly. We even had it on the market for $600. What do I really have here? It is 72" in length. 40+ inches in height. sorry I can't be more specific, but it is locked up in our storage and I can't get to it right now.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello

Can you send pictures?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
did not the one I attached come through? hope you get these

Did your purchase this new? Or as antique when you purchased it?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
As an Antique. The locks on the doors are original, and we have the key. I don't think the handles on the drawers are original however. There is a scratch on the top, and a 2 inch square of the top that splintered off. it is on the far top/right back corner.

One more question, did you find a makers name on this anywhere?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will have to respond tomorrow, when I can get to the piece tomorrow afternoon. Where do I look?

Hello

Ok, thank you. Look behind it and inside doors and drawers.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am adding a photo of the only mark we found on the back of a drawer If you can't see it, let me know and I will draw you a sketch of it. It looks like a very elaborate P done in silver.

This is your answer, please rate this after reading it. This is important to me getting credit for my work.

.

That is a inventory mark, usually put there by an inspection person.

.

I do not think you are doing anything wrong when listing this for sale, it is a beautiful, piece. You might try different venues to sell it from.

.
It is a Great Mahogany Side Board, with a Burled Inset Doors, original Brass Pulls,. I would list this on Ebay, Etsy, or Amazon Market Place. I would list it for $1***-**-****.00. Sometimes too low makes people think there might be something wrong with it.

.

If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.
.

Glenda,
.
If you do not mind rating this I would greatly appreciate it.
.
Clicking the top star on the top left of the page does this
.
Thank you for taking time to rate this.
.
If you find you have a problem being able to rate me, please let me know.

I'm just checking in once again to see how things are going.
.
Let me know if you still need help with this question.
.
I will be happy to help with any further question you might have on this.
.
I strive to answer any and all questions a customer might have in order for you to have a enjoyable experience with me as an appraiser.
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry, for the delayed response. Things have been crazy with lately. Thank you very much for your input. I do have a question. Is it French, and someone once suggested that it might be a hotel/restaurant from the 1930s.?

Hello

No this is American Made, French would have more of a curved leg with more embellishments on it. It is hard to say it might have been in a hotel/restaurant. If so it would have been a more upscale one.

.

.

Glenda,
.
.
.
Thank you for taking time to rate this.
.