Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

I am doing an estate sale that has several high end pieces

Customer Question

I am doing an estate sale that has several high end pieces of art - 2 of the pieces are chiparus, deco statues on a large marble base....they are signed with D H and the Chiparus is cursive..... how do I determine a value? What is the lowest they sell for even if reproduction? Thank you!
JA: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: Do you know anything about Chiparus
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 13 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please send a photo of the signature. I also need a photo of the statues.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the signature.

To send photos you may use the "reply to expert" or "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

I need two sizes - the height of the statues !. with the base and 2. without base.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hope they are clear

They are excellent photos but I cannot tell the sizes.

I need the sizes of each statue - the height of the statues !. with the bases and 2. without bases.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok I am headed to the sale and will measure. Hopefully this link will work then. Estimating she is about 12" and base is about 8"

I though there were two statues?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
they are same height I believe. I will measure both and get back to you as soon as I get to the sale

Thank you. I'll be seeing what I can find.

I can answer without further information.

There are numerous reproductions and fakes of Chiparus statues.

See the following information on how to spot fakes:

See this about Demetre Haralamb Chiparus (1886-1947)

I found 64 Chiparus signatures. Generally, most of them are printed but a few are script.

See the following image of a genuine Chiparus signature in script.

Yours does not match. Therefore your statues are fakes.

As well-done, beautiful fakes your two in about the size you estimated would have a retail value of $300-400 each.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Did you get the picture of the base? I have not found any on the Internet for less than $1500

Type D H Chiparus in Google. I only see a range of less than $200 - 300 for fakes.

I added $100 each for marble bases. If they are more substantial than showing in the photos, then we should add about $300 to each making the estimate range to be $600-800 but not $1500. If you are looking at very high end sites like 1stDibs where, in my opinion, many items are priced well-above the market, then you should discount them.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
For Doris only... I hope this will still go through, the service was so bad at the sale I had to do it after I got home the site you sent me to was what I found on the Internet, but if you click on that and look it shows her his last 10 years and it's exactly that signature so how did you determine it was a fake from the signature?

My picture shows an authentic script signature of Chiparus. The "C" does not match yours.

Did you go to this site and see how few originals exist, how many fakes there are and how to tell a fake from from an original?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
The actual woman stands 13 inches to her head, but her hand goes up in the air so it's 14 1/2 inches total the base is 11" tall x 14" wide. This is the statue with her hands out in her leg on her thigh… The other one with their hands in the air 18 inches to the top of her hand and face is 7 1/2 inches wide 9 inches tall very ornate.
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 7 days ago.

I am afraid we will just have to disagree. If you would like a refund, please let me know.

I enjoyed researching your question.

Or if you would like for me to suggest an appraiser that lives within driving distance of your home, please send me the largest city near you.

Kind regards,