Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry

I have a porcelain bowl given to me by my 92 year old

Customer Question

I have a porcelain bowl given to me by my 92 year old neighbor. She said it was her mother in law's. It has a lid covered in small "violet" looking flowers with 3 larger roses on top. It has gold paint in the middle of the small flowers and gold painted curves around the bowl. It also has 2 small flowers together on four sides of the bowl. Inside the lid is an imprint of the number 5. On the bottom is an imprint of either a number 2 or a cursive t if looked upside down. There is the word ITALY painted in gold on the bottom and what looks to be penciled numbers that are 1502. Any thoughts?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: It also has leaves that have gold paint on them surrounding the small flowers.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 10 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please send me a photo of the marks on the bottom. I also need a photo of the whole piece.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "reply to expert" or "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

What is the size of the piece?

Kind regards,