rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a platter with no markings that seems to be around

Customer Question

I have a platter with no markings that seems to be around 18th century, but I can't locate the exact pattern that is on the platter... can you help?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please send me a photo of the marks on the bottom. And another one of the pattern.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "reply to expert" or "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Here is another photo... I see no markings anywhere

Transferware has been used in England since the mid-18thC. It was mainly produced in the Staffordshire area of England.

Finding the exact pattern used in yours is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Unfortunately, I cannot find an accurate answer for your question. I will release your question so that all the other professionals can choose to answer you with accuracy.
I want you to have the best answer possible. Releasing your question is called "opting-out." I will not be able to respond to you once I opt-out.
I am very sorry.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just paid 38 dollars for no answer!
Your answer is what I already know and you supposedly have 56 YEARS of experience!
Thanks a lot!
Yes please opt out
Expert:  rarewares replied 3 months ago.

This is an English black transferware platter and covered server made circa 1882 to 1890

by Grindley, though other potters of the time made similar patterns.

This is one of the series of patterns that were based on mezzotint engravings by the English

artist John Constable in collaboration with the engraver David Lucas.

The series of transferware was called Scenes After Constable and represented

bucolic images of the Stour Valley in England. Grindley changed the borders and shapes

over the years as they produced items until 1994. Your two pieces date to

the early years when the fancy borders were popular, early to late 1880's, and the platter

has a current value of $275 and the server a value of $125.00 retail.

To finish, I will need you to click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the green submit button, thanks!

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.